[Solved] Won't register or open previously opened file

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
TemBarkwater

[Solved] Won't register or open previously opened file

Post by TemBarkwater »

Hi all,
I click on a text file- docx and open office wont open it, in fact it doesn't do anything, it will open a doc file but nothing else.
what's interesting is when i go to open from the start screen it doesn't even register there are any files there, except the doc file. I've tried to change the extension name to a doc but it said it was corrupt.
any thoughts?!
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
open office 4 Mac
TemBarkwater

Re: Won't register or open previously opened file

Post by TemBarkwater »

well this is embarrassing, turns out my mac had changed the system preference to not open any thing other then an app store approved app....

let that be a lesson to you, check preferences first!!!

*slopes off into the background*
open office 4 Mac
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Won't register or open previously opened file

Post by robleyd »

Just a quick note; changing the file extension doesn't change the file type. Analogy - you have a can of baked beans and you put a baby food label on it; does the contents of the can change?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
TemBarkwater

Post by TemBarkwater »

Hello again, is it possible to re open this? The preferences are correct but the original issue is still persisting

Good can analogy :)
open office 4 Mac
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

TemBarkwater wrote:I click on a text file- docx and open office wont open it,
DOCX is a proprietary Microsnot format designed to be difficult for any but Microsnot products to open. New releases of Word introduce additional undocumented incompatibilities. It may not be possible to open the DOCX file with Writer even if it is undamaged. Can you open ODT files with Writer? But perhaps the DOCX file is damaged. Or perhaps someone took an image (JPG extension) and then changed JPG to DOCX. Writer can't open that.
TemBarkwater wrote:I click on a text file- docx and open office wont open it
Launch OpenOffice from the dock. Can you open the file with File → Open?
TemBarkwater wrote:my mac had changed the system preference to not open any thing other then an app store approved app
Is this a new install? Did you follow the link to the Installation Guide on the OpenOffice download page? Did you follow the link there and read the Release Notes before installing?

You should review [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q03/A03, Q02/A02, and Q33/A33 at a minimum.

Can you open the file from the Guest User account? Q28/A28
TemBarkwater signature line of forum wrote:open office 4 Mac
Provide your real OpenOffice version and your MacOS version if you would like any additional assistance from me.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).