[Solved] Mojave

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Ingemann

[Solved] Mojave

Post by Ingemann »

Please help. Ever since upgrading to Mojave, OpenOffice (and LibreOffice) crashes whenever I open the fonts dialogue (ie try to change the font). I have reinstalled the OS and searched all forums and even contacted Apple support to no avail. No problems under High Sierra. Can anybody help?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2
MacOs 10.14.3
MrProgrammer

Re: Mojave

Post by MrProgrammer »

Ingemann wrote: Ever since upgrading to Mojave, OpenOffice (and LibreOffice) crashes whenever I open the fonts dialogue (ie try to change the font).
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q07/A07. You did not indicate what component of OpenOffice you are using, but the same difficulty may affect Writer. I don't use MacOS 10.14 so maybe this is a new problem with OpenOffice on that OS.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Ingemann

Post by Ingemann »

Thank you for your reply. I did read the tutorial (after using OpenOffice for years). The issue is universal for all components, and deleting my user file did not correct the problem, which is also present in "safe mode".
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2
MacOs 10.14.3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the problem is also present in Safe Mode, then an uninstall/reinstall (from a fresh download) should be tried.

Also, try disabling use of OpenGL fonts.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Ingemann

Post by Ingemann »

I have tried reinstalling many times, and it does not cure the problem. I will look into disabling OpenGL fonts. I have also contacted Apple, as the rather new iMac is also slow, and they could not immediately identify the problem even with the crash reports available to them, and they are currently working on the problems.
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2
MacOs 10.14.3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What screen resolution are you using? If you switch screen down to (say: 1280x1024) and ran LibreOffice in that mode, is speed improved? If so, switch the resolution up in stages, using the standard settings offered, until speed fails.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lander

Post by lander »

Hi Ingemann,

I am having a similar problem, possibly same issue, I upgraded from Mac OS Sierra (with no issues) to Mac Mojave and can not link a database > table > sheet1 to a document without it crashing. I wonder have you had any updates or found a solution to this problem. I have read other posts throughout the forums and have installed the latest java 1.8.0_201 and can not add the older version of java (1.6.something-I tried) so that both are installed. Should I revert back to 1.6.something? I also switched/created a custom display calibration that is apple generic/based. My MacBook has Retina display. I do not know what to do or look for to figure this out. I am definitely being bogged down as a result of not being able to merge my documents.

Thanks in advance.
Ingemann

Post by Ingemann »

Unfortunately I have not been able to identify the problem, and Apple concluded, that it was a problem with Open/LibreOffice and not with Mojave. I do not know whether to believe them. They advised me to se tup a test user, and the programmes worked under that user; so they advised me to back up my stuff and then delete the user, but Mojave would not let me delete the user once I had everything backed up which took forever. I also use GnuCAsh and that would not load under Mojave for a while until it suddenly did. It used to run fine on my MacBook Air (High Sierra), but now it will not run on that anymore. It is maddening. I see that other uses have the same problem with Gnucash, and the suggestions on the help forum do not work. To me it looks like the latest iterations of MacOs have created these problems, as I have used all these programmes without problems for years.
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2
MacOs 10.14.3
lander

Post by lander »

Thanks for the update. I was thinking about deleting OpenOffice and reinstalling just to see if something changes otherwise I got nothing. I may have to look into another Mac word-processing program so I can do my tasks. I too have been using it AOO for years and prefer it over any other program on win or Mac OS. But I digress.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Ingemann wrote:They advised me to se tup a test user, and the programmes worked under that user.
This suggests that you would benefit from a new user profile, Q02/A02, since a new user gets a new profile, though your problem could be due to other customization you have performed on the first account, perhaps in  → System Preferences. Or you may have installed software which is incompatible with OpenOffice, perhaps a clipboard or window manager. If so you need to decide which of the two is more important to you. Or you may want to use a separate account for OpenOffice work.
Ingemann wrote:Mojave would not let me delete the user …
This is strictly an Apple issue. Perform a web search with your symptoms.
lander wrote:I was thinking about deleting OpenOffice and reinstalling …
Go ahead, Q04/A04 and Q03/A03, but it won't create a new user profile nor will it help with customization in  → System Preferences.

Posts from others on the forum show they are successful running OpenOffice on MacOS 10.14 but perhaps it depends on one's hardware or on configuration one has selected (or using by default). Review everything in [Tutorial] Mac FAQ and any mentions of Mojave on the forum. That GnuCash has difficulty suggests that 10.14 has incompatiblities with earlier versions of MacOS. These may be poorly documented, making it hard for developers to know what needs to be changed in their applications. I am not posting in this topic again.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
lander

Post by lander »

Problem solved for me anyway. After more reading up, I learned that AOO is not supported as LibreOffice. So I installed LibreOffice and the problems I had with AOO did not show up in LibreOffice. So I removed AOO. Hope this helps others encountering my previous and now solved issue. good luck everyone.
Ingemann

Post by Ingemann »

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I had already gone through the FAQ and tried deleting the user folder, and that did not cure the problem. I have also tried the other suggestions as to the screen settings and have gone through the preferences without finding the culprit. I tried to delete the account as advised by Apple after having backed it up, not the user, and was not allowed to do that.
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2
MacOs 10.14.3