Unable to install, please help

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
D Boy

Unable to install, please help

Post by D Boy »

Hello all,

I have tried to install Apache Open Office 4.1.5 on a 13" MacBook 2009 running OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

The .zip file appears in Applications, but when I click on it a message appears saying the image is not recognised.

So Office is closed for me :(

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance ..
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOS 10.11.6
robleyd

Re: Unable to install, please help

Post by robleyd »

If the downloaded file you got is a zip file, you have gotten the wrong file for a Mac - that is a windows download.

Go to http://www.openoffice.org/download/ and make sure the dropdown on the left shows the correct information about your operating system and version. You state you are using OSX 10.11.6 so you need OSX (version >= 10.7)DMG. If necessary, select the language you need. Click on Download full installation - you will be transferred to Sourceforge. Once there click on nothing, your download will start automatically.

Prior to downloading, please carefully read the Mac installation instructions and also Q03/A03 and Q05/A05 in the [Tutorial] Mac FAQ
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
D Boy

Post by D Boy »

Hey robleyd

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I did consider that a .zip file wouldn't be compatible with Mac as I only remember using them on PCs, but I saw another page suggesting that it was possible to open these files on a Mac.. anyway: I've now downloaded the .dmg file from the link above, dragged it to applications but when I try to open it I get the same message, image not recognised. Do you have any ideas why this is happening, or what I can do to resolve the problem? :?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOS 10.11.6
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

See this topic for suggestions, and I'd like to make note of the fact that the original poster in that topic realized that it was his fault for not following all of the directions.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

D Boy wrote:Hey robleyd

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I did consider that a .zip file wouldn't be compatible with Mac as I only remember using them on PCs, but I saw another page suggesting that it was possible to open these files on a Mac.. anyway: I've now downloaded the .dmg file from the link above, dragged it to applications but when I try to open it I get the same message, image not recognised. Do you have any ideas why this is happening, or what I can do to resolve the problem? :?
Do not drag the DMG file to Applications. Double click to open it. Inside you will find the application, along with a link to the Applications folder. Drag the application icon onto the folder link icon (you can also drag it directly into Applications in a Finder window, it is essentially the same thing).

The first time you try to open the Office package, you may get a message that it is rejected due to security settings. Go to settings - Security to approve the application.