[Solved] AOO 4.1.5 crashes when trying to recover files

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
glenngijsberts

[Solved] AOO 4.1.5 crashes when trying to recover files

Post by glenngijsberts »

I was working on a spreadsheet last weekend but unfort. my macbook did go to sleep mode and was turned off for some reason. I didn't saved yet so I have basicly nothing. I try to recover the file (This keeps popping up after starting open office) but if I try to do that the app keeps crashing.. How can I solve this?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on a mac os
MrProgrammer

Re: AOO 4.1.5 Mac OS keeps crashing when trying to recover f

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
glenngijsberts wrote:… my macbook did go to sleep mode and was turned off for some reason. … I try to recover the file … but if I try to do that the app keeps crashing.
Accept that sleep/power-off destroyed your work and you will have to start over. Do not let that happen by operating the computer unplugged when the battery is low. You control this situation. Read section 6. Saving your data and making backups in Ten concepts that every Calc user should know.
glenngijsberts wrote:How can I solve this?
Cancel the offer to recover the file. Then quit OpenOffice and re-launch it. If you continue to have difficulty see [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: AOO 4.1.5 Mac OS keeps crashing when trying to recover f

Post by John_Ha »

glenngijsberts wrote:I was working on a spreadsheet last weekend but unfort. my macbook did go to sleep mode and was turned off for some reason.
Never walk away from a PC with a file unsaved - you deserve all you get!! :crazy:
glenngijsberts wrote:I try to recover the file (This keeps popping up after starting open office) but if I try to do that the app keeps crashing
Look for the Recovery file in the Backup folder specified in Tools > Options (Preferences on Mac?/) > OpenOffice > Paths. It is probably damaged, which is why you crash, but some data may be recoverable from it.

Otherwise, see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

c) how to un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.