ERRORS in FONT and LINKS when creating PDF

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
chriskloss

ERRORS in FONT and LINKS when creating PDF

Post by chriskloss »

Hey peeepz,

searching the forum - also the German one, because I am using the German version of A-OO - did not return any results.

for my stats please refer to signature

Condition

I am using a document with QUICKSAND, an open souce font from Google, afaik.

The document has included
  • Check boxes (as in a form) to make crosses for the recipient - which are also formatted in Quicksand
  • a Link formatted for an e-mail (mailto:xxx)
  • a Link formatted to forward to a website.
These are the problems...
  • ...with a PDF created by the A-OO included PDF-button:
The check-boxes are not displayed at all. Same counts for special symbols such as the Euro (€) sign.
  • ... with a PDF created via the Mac-integrated "save as PDF" via the print function:
All special characters/symbols (check boxes and €-sign) are displayed correctly, but the WEBLINK does not work.
It is displayed correctly as foratted (blue color), but does not respond when clicked on.

In the German forum I had a first response, it might be because of the FONT, and I may change to more standard fonts, so I did the following:

First, I changed to Calibri, a standard font, I believe. But the Calibri-checkboxes (found in the font set) were transformed into strange symbols after using the option via integrated PDF-Button.

The same happened with Arial, except, the resulting symbol in the PDF-file was different.
Since there is no more lame standard than Arial in my humble opinion, I am out of clues.

The links worked fine though.

Eventually, I could "manage" to format the check boxes with a WingDings symbol. This could be exported correctly.

Still, my initial problems, especially concerning the weblink seems to be a true bug to me... but maybe I am wrong.

Cheers
Chris
Apache Open Office 4.0.1 - GERMAN Version (<- which unfortunately does not contain English desktop language - so I can't switch back and forth)
MAC OS X 10.9.1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: ERRORS in FONT and LINKS when creating PDF

Post by John_Ha »

It sounds like you are using a form so be sure to go File > Export as PDF > General. Now tick the Create PDF form box. Be aware that on a Mac, File > Export as PDF ..., uses different software from clicking the PDF icon and creates a different level of PDF.

Links work fine for me - you need to Ctrl+left-click the link.
Attachments
links.pdf
(20.39 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
chriskloss

Post by chriskloss »

John_Ha wrote:It sounds like you are using a form
Nope. It's a simple document which has to be signed manually. It's not a form in the technical sense of the word, but in the practical, material sense.
Links work fine for me - you need to Ctrl+left-click the link.
Yup, I tried this also. Sorry, I did not mention it before...

Besdides: your link also works with JUST left-clicking. No CTRL-key needed...
Apache Open Office 4.0.1 - GERMAN Version (<- which unfortunately does not contain English desktop language - so I can't switch back and forth)
MAC OS X 10.9.1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Have you tried both File > Export as PDF ..., and clicking the PDF icon?

Also upload an example .odt file - this is mine.
Attachments
links.odt
(9.37 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
chriskloss

Post by chriskloss »

Yes, it did not work either way.
MAC OS X 10.9.1