Save the crashing!!

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Chrisnut

Save the crashing!!

Post by Chrisnut »

Hi All

Please can someone help. My Mac OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6 has started crashing every time I hit the save button when using open office 4. The dreaded spinning beachball comes up and all I can do to continue is force quit. I have tried cmd+s and also clicking on file/save as, but either way the ball appears and I have to force quit losing the document. This has only started this week and I do not think I have done anything different.

Is there a simple way I can fix things as I am desperate to get working and save documents.

Many thanks in advance for your valued advice
openoffice 4.1.5 OS X El Capitan
RusselB

Re: save the crashing!!

Post by RusselB »

It sounds like this might be due to a corrupt user profile,
Please check Q02/A02 and Q15/A15 in the Mac FAQ
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Does it do it with every file? or with just one file?

Incidentally, it is not a crash, where the program exits. It is a hang, where the program is still there but stops responding.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Chrisnut

Post by Chrisnut »

John_Ha wrote:Does it do it with every file? or with just one file?

Incidentally, it is not a crash, where the program exits. It is a hang, where the program is still there but stops responding.
I have tried saving a few documents but as soon as I press "save as" or cmd+s, it HANGS (thanks for the explanation)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I assume you have rebuilt your profile and that did not fix it.

1. Reboot - does it fix it?
2. Download test.odt and save it to your desktop. Open it, make an edit and try saving it to your desktop. Does it save OK?
3. What happens if you leave the hanging program for several minutes? Does it eventually save?
Attachments
test.odt
(8.78 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Chrisnut

Post by Chrisnut »

John_Ha wrote:I assume you have rebuilt your profile and that did not fix it.

1. Reboot - does it fix it?
2. Download test.odt and save it to your desktop. Open it, make an edit and try saving it to your desktop. Does it save OK?
3. What happens if you leave the hanging program for several minutes? Does it eventually save?
Thanks for your response john_ha. I have just tried quitting open office and then opening it again. It now seems to have let me save a document (hurrah!) I am rather useless at working on computers so struggle with even the easiest of tasks! I will try saving a few things and see how it goes but with yours and others advice it may now be sorted???? (fingers crossed)