[Solved] How to make OpenOffice the default

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
zorahpoet

[Solved] How to make OpenOffice the default

Post by zorahpoet »

I followed an earlier posted forum direction. I can open Word Doc's with Open Office, there is no (right click option) for "always open with" option on my iMac (OS 10.10.5). I will keep searching. Thanks.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This document contains macros
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOS 10.10.6
MrProgrammer

Re: How to make Open Office the default

Post by MrProgrammer »

zorahpoet wrote:I can open Word Doc's with Open Office, there is no (right click option) for "always open with" option on my iMac (OS 10.10.5).
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q33/A33

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
zorahpoet

Post by zorahpoet »

TY. I know how to do that (Q33/A33) already. Once again, here is what I need: when the computer (iMac, and maybe others too) boots up, it can do so with a specific app as the "default." For years, Word has been my default (writing) app. Now, I use Open Office and want *it* to be the default upon boot-up. How do I do that? Thanks again.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

zorahpoet wrote:TY. I know how to do that (Q33/A33) already. Once again, here is what I need: when the computer (iMac, and maybe others too) boots up, it can do so with a specific app as the "default." For years, Word has been my default (writing) app. Now, I use Open Office and want *it* to be the default upon boot-up. How do I do that? Thanks again.
Do you mean you want AOO to open when you start your computer?
If so, right click on the AOO icon in the dock.
Click on "Options"
Click on "Open at login"
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
zorahpoet

Re: How to make OpenOffice the default

Post by zorahpoet »

Thank you. I have done that. Maybe the solution is to totally remove Word (which still shows on "open with" and "save as" *as* the default on my iMac . . . but somehow, I am nervous about doing that, with some 25 years of Word doc's . . .
Will keep looking and trying.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: How to make OpenOffice the default

Post by lgusaas »

zorahpoet wrote:Thank you. I have done that. Maybe the solution is to totally remove Word (which still shows on "open with" and "save as" *as* the default on my iMac . . . but somehow, I am nervous about doing that, with some 25 years of Word doc's . . .
Will keep looking and trying.
Aoache OpenOffice will open Word documents. Follow the instructions given previously (Q33/A33 in Mac tutorial) exactly using a .doc file. Do not omit any step. All word files will then open in AOO.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura