What is the Sun Report Builder and how can I get it?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Hellopaul

What is the Sun Report Builder and how can I get it?

Post by Hellopaul »

Hello,
I'm trying to open a database I created in Libre Office on an older Mac (probably running Mac OS 10.10 or thereabouts). I installed Libre Office on a new MacBook Pro running 10.13.4, and it whinged on about needing some cryptic JRE not JDK or vice versa or some such nonsense. I installed Java (I think) but that didn't help. Searching around just found ridiculously cryptic results, so I uninstalled LibreOffice and installed OpenOffice instead, hoping that might be more straightforward. I then opened that database, and tried to open the "Reports" bit, but got an error stating that it needs the extension Sun Report Builder.

I've searched this forum to find out how I can fix this, but can only find in-depth, long conversations about this Sun thing in great detail, which I'm not interested in. I'm surprised I'm (apparently) the first person to ask "I don't care what this Sun thing is, but how can I get it to make OpenOffice actually work?". A Google search for "sun report builder" yields some uninspiring results, including a download page for Oracle Report Builder dating back to 2010. Maybe this is what I need? Maybe it isn't?

UPDATE: I tried installing that 2010 extension thing (from https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... rt-builder) but it just causes OpenOffice to hang. So that's not the answer.

So I'm hoping that someone might be kind enough to point me in the right direction to find this thing, or suggest a workaround. Many thanks in advance for any help you might provide!

(I don't know if the people who very generously write the documentation for OpenOffice or create the installation process read this forum, but in case they do, this part of the post is for them: I love the openness of OpenOffice and LibreOffice, but the installation and documentation are always so incredibly poor. There always seems to be an assumption that the end user knows about - or cares about - all the technicalities regarding the program's development and installation. This couldn't be further from the truth. Very few people care about Java or Sun or Oracle or JRE vs. JDK whatever that means - we all just want to easily install the software, then write documents, build databases and make spreadsheets, not search through forums to find links to obscure downloads to gather up all the necessary bits and bobs that may or may not be needed to run the thing. When an incomprehensible error message appears saying that some kind of weird obscure component is missing, it surely just sends users into the arms of Microsoft. I know a perfectly logical argument against my rant could be "it's free, FFS! So, you have to put a bit of effort, research, and a lot of guesswork to make it work, get over it!" and I fully accept that point!).
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 and Mac OS 10.13
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: What is the Sun Report Builder and how can I get it?

Post by lgusaas »

Hellopaul wrote:Hello,
I'm trying to open a database I created in Libre Office on an older Mac (probably running Mac OS 10.10 or thereabouts). I installed Libre Office on a new MacBook Pro running 10.13.4, and it whinged on about needing some cryptic JRE not JDK or vice versa or some such nonsense.
The message isn't cryptic. It is very specific. I think LibreOffice needs the full JDK version of Java, not the runtime environment (JRE). Also the exact version of Mac OS is important. Also the version of Apache OpenOffice you are using.
I installed Java (I think) but that didn't help.
Check to see if it is installed. Location in Finder is /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines for Java JDK. The runtime environment (JRE) is in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.
AOO requires at least Java 9 to work without also installing the Apple legacy java.
Searching around just found ridiculously cryptic results, so I uninstalled LibreOffice and installed OpenOffice instead, hoping that might be more straightforward. I then opened that database, and tried to open the "Reports" bit, but got an error stating that it needs the extension Sun Report Builder.
You need the Oracle Report Builder. Download it from the Apache OpenOffice website: https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... rt-builder.

You also need to enable Java in AOO preferences. (on Menu bar: OpenOfice/Preferences/OpenOffice/Java — check "Use a Java runtime environment" and check on the version of Java installed.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Hellopaul

Post by Hellopaul »

Thanks for the quick reply. But as I mentioned, I'd already tried to install that Oracle Report Builder thing, and it just causes OpenOffice to hang. I also installed Java (again - I don't know how many times I've done that), and there's nothing in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines.

I also enabled Java in the prefs, but every time I go to the Java prefs, it says "To install the "java" command-line tool you need to install a JDK." Which is what I just did! If I click "More Info..." it takes me back to the "install Java" (yet again) page.

But this kind of convoluted procedure is what I was also talking about in my post - how on earth am I supposed to know all this? As far as I can tell, a degree in computer science was never mentioned as a prerequisite for installing this software. Why can't I just download one installer, and it just installs stuff, and it actually works, like most other applications? It's the same with the equally ridiculous and equally annoying LibreOffice. Utterly infuriating. I wonder what percentage of the average OpenOffice user's time is spent downloading weird patches or updates or Java things rather than actually working?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 and Mac OS 10.13
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Hellopaul wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. But as I mentioned, I'd already tried to install that Oracle Report Builder thing, and it just causes OpenOffice to hang.
The Report Builder isn't a "thing", it is an extension. It, and some other aspects of the AOO database do not work unless Java is installed.
I also installed Java (again - I don't know how many times I've done that), and there's nothing in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines.
If it isn't there you haven't installed the JDK. Or you are looking in the wrong library. There are three on Macs, /Library, /System/Library, and /Users/(your user name)/library.

Did you look in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins? That is the location the JRE is intalled to, if that is what you claim you installed.It is called "JavaAppletPlugin.plugin".

Also, if Java is installed, there is a control panel for it in Apple/System Preferences on the menu bar.
I also enabled Java in the prefs, but every time I go to the Java prefs, it says "To install the "java" command-line tool you need to install a JDK." Which is what I just did! If I click "More Info..." it takes me back to the "install Java" (yet again) page.
Again, that indicates you haven't installed Java. Here's a screen shot from my Mac.
AOO Java .png
The latest Java, both JDK or JRE can be found at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html
But this kind of convoluted procedure is what I was also talking about in my post - how on earth am I supposed to know all this? As far as I can tell, a degree in computer science was never mentioned as a prerequisite for installing this software. Why can't I just download one installer, and it just installs stuff, and it actually works, like most other applications? It's the same with the equally ridiculous and equally annoying LibreOffice. Utterly infuriating. I wonder what percentage of the average OpenOffice user's time is spent downloading weird patches or updates or Java things rather than actually working?
Java Runtime Environment (JRE} is a seperate program that many other programs use to enable features in their program. Some funtions of the database in AOO, including the report builder, require Java to be installed. Nothing weird or convlulated about it. Just requires basic knowledge of computer operation and upkeep. If that is too complicated there is always pen and paper,
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura