[Solved] Program will not open

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Sunra956

[Solved] Program will not open

Post by Sunra956 »

Running OSX 10.13.4 on a 2012 Macbook Pro, w 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory. Install went ok. But when trying to open I get the error screen "OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Fatal Error The application cannot be started. An internal error occurred." This happened yesterday, so I uninstalled the program (properly I think), re-downloaded it, and got the same thing. I have done this three times, each time I restart the computer after each uninstall. And each time I get this Fatal Error message. What's up?
Last edited by robleyd on Fri May 11, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOS 10.13.4
MrProgrammer

Re: Program will not open

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Sunra956 wrote:I get the error screen "OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Fatal Error The application cannot be started. An internal error occurred."
I don't recall seeing this symptom from anyone else. Create a new profile and/or try the Guest User. See [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02, Q15/A15, Q28/A28, Q39/A39, and Q40/A40. Others will appreciate hearing a response from you about which, if any, solved the problem. Even "I did them all and now it works" will be helpful to us.
Sunra956 wrote:… I uninstalled the program (properly I think), re-downloaded it …
Review Q03/A03 and Q04/A04. Download only from openoffice.org. Other downloads may be malware or may create one-of-a-kind problems for you.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Sunra956

Post by Sunra956 »

Hi Mr.P, many thanks for your reply. The plot seems to have thickened: as per instructions in Q02, there is no evidence of OpenOffice in my ~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice/4 I did the usual waste of time, and uninstalled, cleared the computer, and freshly downloaded OpOffice from the official site, as you made clear to do. It seemed I was going to have success, as the installer opened, allowed me to check Yes, open. But I got the same Error screen. And now when I try to open it, the icon flashes momentarily in the dock and then disappears. I might add that I successfully installed OpOffice on my wife's mac mini this morning, having downloaded it from the same OpenOffice official site. I also ran Malwarebytes full scan this morning and it found 1 thing which seemed to have nothing to do with OpOff, but that thing is gone and the computer has been restarted and rescanned. All clean.
Sunra956

Post by Sunra956 »

Problem solved: I discovered that the 'antivirus' software Bitdefender was interfering with the operation of my Mac. I came to this as I went through the Library files looking for what programs had a file in the application support folder. I cleaned house, and deleted about a dozen programs that I never use. Then I noticed Bitdefender. Turns out the makers of this have engineered it to be very not straightforward to uninstall. But it can be done. As soon as I succeeded in getting rid of Bitdefender, my Mac instantly woke up and is now behaving like it did when it was new - 6 years ago! Thus I pass along a cautionary tale that many if not most Mac users know: do not use third party virus protection.