How to read files saved from PC on Mac

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
gmrdvm

How to read files saved from PC on Mac

Post by gmrdvm »

Hello, took my desktop PC to a local computer place, it wasn't letting me log in anymore. I was told that the hard drive was failing. Took in my WD external hard drive and they transferred everything onto it. My problem is that we bought an iMac to replace the PC and the iMac will not open any of my folders. When I click on most of these, I get the message (or one very similar), "You can't open the application NPE(1).exe because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on macOS." I also have the desktop.ini image that I am unable to open. Can't get to anything, even my photos :(

Took the external hard drive back in for them to make changes to so I could transfer my old info to my new iMac, and they told me that I just needed to download OpenOffice for Mac and I would be able to read everything from the external hard drive. So I've downloaded OpenOffice and have no idea how to use it to open my files/folders. Please help! I'm not computer savvy at all.
OpenOffice 4.1.5. on MacOS x86-64
MrProgrammer

Re: how to read files saved from PC on Mac

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
gmrdvm wrote:Please help! I'm not computer savvy at all.
We can't help you learn how to use your Mac. Read the advice about the library in the introduction to [Tutorial] Mac FAQ. To open folders you'll launch OpenOffice, then use File → Open and use the dialog to select the file you want.
gmrdvm wrote:Took in my WD external hard drive and they transferred everything onto it.
I have no idea what a "WD external hard drive" is or whether it is compatible with Macs. Investigation about that is beyond the scope of this forum, though it's possible that someone here is familiar with that device. Does the person who transferred the files understand Macs? If not, you should take the drive to the place where you purchased your Mac. It would be unusual for a business which sells Macs not to assist with transferring files from Windows to Mac. An Apple dealer would always offer that assistance.
gmrdvm wrote:The iMac will not open any of my folders. When I click on most of these, I get the message (or one very similar), "You can't open the application NPE(1).exe because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on macOS."
NPE(1).exe isn't a folder. It's a program written for Windows. .exe
gmrdvm wrote:I also have the desktop.ini image that I am unable to open.
The desktop.ini file isn't an image. It's a configuration file for Windows. INI file
gmrdvm wrote:Can't get to anything, even my photos :(
Your photos probably have the .jpg extension. There are other formats, but I believe most cameras create .jpg files. JPEG But OpenOffice isn't for displaying photos on your Mac.
gmrdvm wrote:Took the external hard drive back in for them to make changes to so I could transfer my old info to my new iMac, and they told me that I just needed to download OpenOffice for Mac and I would be able to read everything from the external hard drive.
No!!! That is wrong, and suggests they have no idea how to use a Mac. OpenOffice is used to create/edit word processor documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and some other things but it isn't for many other tasks. It isn't used to display or edit photos. It isn't used for email. There's no calendar feature and no contacts/address book. OpenOffice is not a web browser. Macs can do all those tasks, but you won't use OpenOffice for them.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I think the problem is with the WD disk. Is it a MyCloud? If so, when connected to a Windows PC it needs some WD software running on the Windows PC to be able to access the file. Obvioulsy, this software is not present on the Mac and will not run on the Mac even if it is present.

1. Check exactly what WD disk you have.

2. Go to the WD site for your specific disk and check to see if the disk works with Apple MacOS. If it does work with Mac (is supported by MacOS) then download the Mac software for the disk and install it on the Mac.

You will now be able to access the files on the WD disk.

My WD MyCloud has two modes of operation, namely My Cloud Home and Public (\\MYCLOUD-XXXnXnX) as shown below.

If I remember correctly ...

... the MyCloud Home mode requires the WD software running on the PC. It provides all the "WD added functions" like accessing files across the internet etc.

... the Public (\\MYCLOUD-XXXnXnX) works like a normal, network attached disk and does not need the WD software and does not provide the "WD added functions".

When i installed my My Cloud, WD only told me about MyCloud Home presumably because that is how you can get the "WD added functions". I set up Public (\\MYCLOUD-XXXnXnX) myself by mapping the disk using Windows.

So, did the PC repair shop place your files in My Cloud Home? or in Public (\\MYCLOUD-XXXnXnX)?

If in My Cloud Home you need to install the WD software on the Mac to see the files.

If in Public (\\MYCLOUD-XXXnXnX) you should be able to see the files but you will need to map the disk.

Can you write a file to the WD disk from the Mac?
WD MyCloud disk installed on Windows
WD MyCloud disk installed on Windows
It may be simpler for you to return to the PC repair shop and ask them to solve the problem for you. Print off this post.

Download these files to the Mac. You should be able to see and open both.
Attachments
test.odt
(8.79 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
test.pdf
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

gmrdvm wrote:... I get the message (or one very similar), "You can't open the application NPE(1).exe because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on macOS."
A Google search for "NPE.exe" finds that this is the executable file that runs Norton Power Eraser, a virus removal tool. Were you using Norton Power Eraser on the PC? If so, then you may need to look for help on a forum dedicated to Norton products. I have no idea why that Windows program would be trying to run on a Mac.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04