[Solved] Updated Mac OS now OO is running extremely slowly

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
dboylen2

[Solved] Updated Mac OS now OO is running extremely slowly

Post by dboylen2 »

Yesterday I did a normal update of my Macbook's OS to High Sierra 10.13.4. Later that night my OO was running a little slow, but I wasn't concerned. Today, however, it stalls every time I try to export a PDF and even loading and saving documents take 10+ seconds. I updated my OO to the newest version, 4.15, and I'm still having the problem.

I have had to force quit OO 6 times today. Please, anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.15 on High Sierra OS 10.13.4
MrProgrammer

Re: Updated Mac OS now OO is running extremely slowly

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
dboylen2 wrote:I did a normal update of my Macbook's OS to High Sierra 10.13.4. [Now OpenOffice is slow.] Please, anyone have any ideas?
Review ideas in OpenOffice 4.1.4 Calc Hangs on MacOS 10.13.2 or similar posts about 10.12.x or 10.13.x in this forum. In my experience new releases of Mac OS X are slower on older hardware as Apple introduces additional bloat. That's hardly surprising since Apple would love you to buy new hardware. It's their revenue stream since the OS updates are free, unlike some companies which make you purchase those updates. Perhaps you can find some bloat to disable, say Siri. Perhaps some additional memory would help. Since this is likely to be a Mac issue with a Mac solution, rather than an OpenOffice one, you may want to check forums (web search) specializing in Apple's products.

I noted when I upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.9.x that the OS was slower, all around. There were some handy features to 10.9.x but I rather wished I had not upgraded. Or course, I could go back and reinstall 10.6.8 but it would be a lot of work.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
dboylen2

Re: Updated Mac OS now OO is running extremely slowly

Post by dboylen2 »

I am operating on a less than one year old mac with plenty of memory for my uses which are pretty simple (OO for word processing, spreadsheets, and the occasional drawing, google chrome, and very little else.) I appreciate your time and thoughts. As a short-term fix, I reinstalled my system from a recent back-up and everything is working just fine again. I know this doesn't solve anything in the big picture, but I have my machine operational again.
OpenOffice 4.15 on High Sierra OS 10.13.4