Black screen on close of OpenOffice files on Mac

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
WLHALVORSEN

Black screen on close of OpenOffice files on Mac

Post by WLHALVORSEN »

I just installed Open Office 4.1.5 on my Macbook Air with High Sierra OS I have tried a spreadsheet file and text file created in Open Office on my Win 8.1 PC and they both work, with maybe a bit of strange behavior in the spreadsheet when using a mouse, but on either file when I close it, the screen goes black and I have to force quit Open office. Seems like this should be something easy to fix but nothing works yet -
MrProgrammer

Re: Black screen on close of OpenOffice files on Mac

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
WLHALVORSEN wrote:… the screen goes black and I have to force quit Open office.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02 and Q15/A15. See if it works on the Guest User Q28/A28.
WLHALVORSEN wrote:I just installed Open Office 4.1.5
From Apache? Other sources may be malware. See Q03/A03.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
WLHALVORSEN

Post by WLHALVORSEN »

The Open Office 4.1.5 is from Apache. I created a guest user account and put the offending files on a USB stick. I was able to access both files after registering with different initials. The spreadsheet file worked fine and when I closed it no black screen. Convinced I'd solved the problem I loaded the Open Office writer file but when I closed it I got the black screen again which required a force quit. I should add that the .odt writer file is large for a text file at 6.43 MB and it is an export from IBM Lotus Organizer 6 as an .ics file which was then opened as a .txt and further opened and heavily edited in Open Office Writer, so it could have its share of glitches. It works just fine in windows 8.1 and windows 10 other than taking a long time to load.
Open office 4.1.5
Macbook with High Sierra
WLHALVORSEN

Post by WLHALVORSEN »

Further to my post from a few minutes ago I got thinking and loaded a much smaller file converted from IBM Lotus Organizer in exactly the same way via .ics > .txt > odt and it worked fine in guest user. when I closed it there was no black screen - so I have an individual file problem there. However, now that I know that most of my Open Office files will work in guest user is that my only solution - that is should I always just open them as a guest ? Or is there a more fundamental problem to be fixed ?
Open office 4.1.5
Macbook with High Sierra