Writer 4.1.5 crashes when recovering a file!

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
JOHNGREGORY

Writer 4.1.5 crashes when recovering a file!

Post by JOHNGREGORY »

I have OpenOffice 4.1.5 on an iMac running High Sierra 10.13.3 with 16 GIGS of RAM. I am having frequent crashes when trying to recover files. The files can eventually be recovered but usually takes 3-5 crashes to succeed. Anyone else having the same problem? If so does anyone have a suggestion to solve this problem? :crazy:
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on an iMac running High Sierra 10.13.3 with 16 GIGS of RAM
robleyd

Re: Writer 4.1.5 crashes when recovering a file!

Post by robleyd »

You haven't mentioned if there are any error messages associated; maybe [Tutorial] Mac FAQ may have a solution, perhaps Q01/A01?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
JOHNGREGORY

Post by JOHNGREGORY »

The only message the I got was that the app had crashed. There was no Crash Message as the Mac OS would normally show. I just went into the System Library an found the crash report that I am including. I am not a programmer so I am not sure if this will help. I also checked the Recovery File and there was no document there. Well I wanted to upload it but it is a PLIST and the server will not let me. I seemingly do not have an app to read it so that I can send it! Just opened it in text edit, has no useful info. :crazy: :crazy
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on an iMac running High Sierra 10.13.3 with 16 GIGS of RAM
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Developers don't spend much, if any, time here so it is unlikely the crash report will be any use here. As it seems you are not getting the "forced to quit" error, maybe you could try Q02/A02.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

JOHNGREGORY wrote: Just opened it in text edit, has no useful info. :crazy: :crazy
Any OpenOffice file in OO's native format (.odt format for text) is a compressed archive of a number of component files. When opened in a plain text editor, this shows as assorted characters. To open such a file without using OO, one must use an archive program, perhaps telling that program that the .odt file is actually a .zip file.

One of the contained files, content.xml, should then be able to be opened using a plain text editor. If it doesn't open, it is probable that the entire archive has suffered irretrievable damage.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

RoryOF wrote:
JOHNGREGORY wrote: Just opened it in text edit, has no useful info. :crazy: :crazy
Any OpenOffice file in OO's native format (.odt format for text) is a compressed archive of a number of component files. When opened in a plain text editor, this shows as assorted characters. To open such a file without using OO, one must use an archive program, perhaps telling that program that the .odt file is actually a .zip file.

One of the contained files, content.xml, should then be able to be opened using a plain text editor. If it doesn't open, it is probable that the entire archive has suffered irretrievable damage.
TextEdit on Macs opens OpenOffice files (minus some of the formatting).
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura