[Solved] Index of tables does not seem to work

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
viningc

[Solved] Index of tables does not seem to work

Post by viningc »

I am running OO v4.1.5 on an iMac running macOS v10.13.2

I am converting rtf documents to odt format.
  1. I use the "Open with" option to open the text document.
  2. I use command-a to select the entire document and then 'clear formatting' in the drop-down box in the upper left corner of the document.
  3. I convert the title to "Heading"
  4. I add another "Heading 1" for a book name (there are multiple files which belong together).
  5. I highlight each Chapter heading and convert it to "Heading 2".
  6. When I insert a "Table of Contents" all that appears is the grey line with black letters Table of Contents", no sub headers appear.
For a while, I was able to force it to almost work. I would use "Heading 3" instead of "Heading 1" and "Heading 4" instead of "Heading 2" and the Table of Contents would populate when I updated it.

Now, even with the work-around, it just gives me the single grey line. Is this a problem with OO or do I need to do something differently?

I have been converting documents like this for quite a while and never run into problems before.
Last edited by viningc on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on macOS 10.13.2
Hagar Delest

Re: Index of tables does not seem to work

Post by Hagar Delest »

Make sure that the headings styles are set for each level in Tools>Outline Numbering.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
viningc

Post by viningc »

Hagar Delest wrote:Make sure that the headings styles are set for each level in Tools>Outline Numbering.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Good thought, but the headings were already set to the default, for all headings. Thanks for the reply, in any case.

Next! ;)
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

In the TOC settings, make sure the Create from Outline option is checked.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

And if no luck, please upload a sample file (see How to attach a document here).
viningc

Post by viningc »

Bill wrote:In the TOC settings, make sure the Create from Outline option is checked.
Create from Outline and Index marks are both checked.

Hagar Delest wrote:And if no luck, please upload a sample file (see How to attach a document here).
I will upload a portion of the document, once I've shortened a copy of it a bit. I will make another post with the document attached.
viningc

Post by viningc »

OK, here is a section my anonymized document. I have only included the 1st two Chapters and the closing tag, but still the TOC doesn't seem to trigger. :(
Attachments
TOC Test.odt
This is a randomized file which exhibits the problem I for which I've asked help with, TOC not working.
(27.07 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

viningc wrote:
Hagar Delest wrote:Make sure that the headings styles are set for each level in Tools>Outline Numbering.

Good thought, but the headings were already set to the default, for all headings. Thanks for the reply, in any case.

Next! ;)
No, they aren't. Level 1 should show "Heading 1" paragraph style and Level 2 should show "Heading 2" paragraph style, but they are both set to "None". Heading 1 and Heading 2 are the only two heading styles used in the sample document, but they won't be included in the document outline or the TOC unless you fix the settings for Level 1 and Level 2 in Tools > Outline Numbering.
viningc

Post by viningc »

Bill wrote:No, they aren't. Level 1 should show "Heading 1" paragraph style and Level 2 should show "Heading 2" paragraph style, but they are both set to "None". Heading 1 and Heading 2 are the only two heading styles used in the sample document, but they won't be included in the document outline or the TOC unless you fix the settings for Level 1 and Level 2 in Tools > Outline Numbering.
I don't know what happened with the sample, but when I look at the original document, all the heading entries are correct.

I looked at the example and saw the same thing you did.

I have converted the entire document and checked. The Outline Numbering is still correct and the TOC still doesn't work.

New sample attached.

Grr, it's too long. I had to strip out a lot of the text, but it stoll doesn't Show a TOC with the Outline Numbering showing up correctly.
Attachments
TOC Test.odt
(121.87 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The new sample document has some added "heading" styles linked with the Default style instead of the Heading style. You put those new styles in Tools > Outline Numbering, but applied the real Heading styles to the text. The styles "heading 1" and "Heading 1" are not the same style.
viningc

Post by viningc »

Bill wrote:The new sample document has some added "heading" styles linked with the Default style instead of the Heading style. You put those new styles in Tools > Outline Numbering, but applied the real Heading styles to the text. The styles "heading 1" and "Heading 1" are not the same style.
AHA! That solved it, thank you.

I wonder how the headings got changed? I right-clicked on the rtf file and used "Open with..." to open the file using OO, so the base should have been absolutely default.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved]Index of tables does not seem to work

Post by Hagar Delest »

RTF is poorly supported by AOO. Likely a glitch during the import.
viningc

Re: [Solved] Index of tables does not seem to work

Post by viningc »

I have found that sometimes I can right-click on an option and a list of options comes up. every once in a while that list includes the lowercase 'headings'. When I find such a list, I go through and exterminate the lowercase entries. Perhaps one of these days my installation will be back to default.