Mac Dictation not working in OpenOffice

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
STurton

Mac Dictation not working in OpenOffice

Post by STurton »

I am running Mac High Sierra 10.13.2 and my Mac dictation program works in MacMail, but when I am in OpenOffice and I hit the fn button twice to start, nothing happens. OpenOffice is now my primary word processing program (I dumped MS Word) so any advice is appreciated.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2
MrProgrammer

Re: Mac Dictation not working in OpenOffice

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I think your post should be moved to the Mac OSX forum.
STurton wrote:I am running Mac High Sierra 10.13.2 and my Mac dictation program works in MacMail, but when I am in OpenOffice and I hit the fn button twice to start, nothing happens.
I don't use dictation, but it does work for me on OpenOffice 3.2 with Mac OS X 9.5. Verify that you're getting the onscreen microphone when you enable dictation with OpenOffice. If not, it suggests that Mac OS X isn't recognizing that you want it enabled, or that enablement is prevented for some reason. Test to see if dictation works with OpenOffice in the Guest User account. [Tutorial] Mac FAQ, Q28/A28.

As a workaround until you can get the problem resolved, you could dictate into TextEdit and cut/paste into OpenOffice. If dictation doesn't work in TextEdit either, that indicates a Mac Problem.

If you resolve the problem, please post back here explaining what you did to fix it. Others who may encounter this difficulty will thank you.
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 12.20.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 12.20.34 AM.png (43.36 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
STurton

Post by STurton »

Thanks, MrProgrammer! Dictation works in Text Edit, Mac Mail, Acorn, but strangely, not in Stickies, Numbers, or Safari - all native programs. And, it doesn't work in OpenOffice, of course. Perhaps this is a Mac problem - I think I'll contact Mac Help. Thanks!
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

STurton wrote:Perhaps this is a Mac problem - I think I'll contact Mac Help.
I am interested to learn in this topic what was discovered so that I can update the Mac FAQ tutorial with that information. I suspect you are not alone with this difficulty, just the first who reported it.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).