LibreOffice

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
gorgeous1

LibreOffice

Post by gorgeous1 »

My macbook pro has been running libre office for over 2 years quite happy (el capitan 10.11.5. This morning my laptop froze and after restart all my libre files had been converted to something run by apache called openoffice which I've never heard of. the data still seems ok, but I'd like to get rid of this unwanted program and return to libre. How could this have happened and how do i uninstall it without running risk of losing files. It took me 2 years to get used to libre (after using appleworks for many years) and I don't want to spend another 2 years learning another program. Bear in mind I am only averagely computer literate, so assume I need to be guided step by step through uninstalling this. Thank you for any help. (the libre forum directed me to this forum).
open office 4.1.2 on El capitan 10.11.5
RoryOF

Re: libre office

Post by RoryOF »

Did anyone else have access to your computer? OpenOffice as released does not invade computers - one has to download a file of about 150MB and install it. This does not happen by accident. For uninstall instructions please wait for advice from a Mac user on this forum.

OpenOffice and LibreOffice should open the files almost identically.

I suspect this is the same problem as https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... penoffice/
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gorgeous1

Post by gorgeous1 »

Thanks for reply-i am on holiday on my own and i was actually using the computer when it froze. On restart it had changed!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps the program has corrupted and it is now displaying an old name in the code. Please wait for advice from a Mac user - I am not familiar with the intricacies of a Mac.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: LibreOffice

Post by lgusaas »

gorgeous1 wrote:My macbook pro has been running libre office for over 2 years quite happy (el capitan 10.11.5. This morning my laptop froze and after restart all my libre files had been converted to something run by apache called openoffice which I've never heard of. the data still seems ok, but I'd like to get rid of this unwanted program and return to libre. How could this have happened and how do i uninstall it without running risk of losing files. It took me 2 years to get used to libre (after using appleworks for many years) and I don't want to spend another 2 years learning another program. Bear in mind I am only averagely computer literate, so assume I need to be guided step by step through uninstalling this. Thank you for any help. (the libre forum directed me to this forum).
Your files haven't been converted. LibreOffice is a derivative fork of Apache OpenOffice and they use the same file formats. You are just seeing a different icon for the files.

Did you open one of the files?
What application did it open with?

Check in your applicatios folder to see if LibreOffice.org and/or OpenOffice.org are listed there.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
gorgeous1

Post by gorgeous1 »

thanks for reply. Both are in applications folders and some open with open office, some tell me 'this is first time you've opened libre'. but the layouts on the files with open seem very different e.g. the fonts have changed and i can't work out how to change them, plus other differences.
1) I still have no idea how it could happen
2) Open office seems the dominant one as everything i open as libre gets saved as open office
3) how can i get rid of this nuisance and leave everything as libre office

thanks
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you only want LibreOffice, I'm thinking the easiest method is:
1) Uninstall Open Office (details on how to do that, I don't know as I'm not a Mac user)
2) Download an up-to-date version of LibreOffice and then install it.
2a) The process of installing LibreOffice should over-write an earlier installation of LibreOffice and should associate the file extensions with LibreOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
gorgeous1

Post by gorgeous1 »

thanks-I'll wait for advice from mac user and follow your advice-it does seem a cheek to me that this rogue program can just take over my computer!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

this rogue program can just take over my computer
It can't - it needs to be installed just as LibreOffice does - and it isn't a rogue, it is a perfectly good office suite :)
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
gorgeous1

Post by gorgeous1 »

i had never even heard of open office-so how did it install itself?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I'd be pretty sure that it didn't install itself. If it were my PC I'd be looking at where it was acquired from - perhaps starting with browser history and download history.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
gorgeous1

Post by gorgeous1 »

how do i check these on my macbook?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

That would depend on the browser you use and is probably a question better asked on a forum related to that browser.
FWIW on Firefox there is a menu item labelled History, and also under the menu option Tools there is a Downloads option. Your browser may have something similar.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
gorgeous1

Post by gorgeous1 »

thanks
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You can access the Downloads list, that is stored by most browsers, by using Ctrl+J.
On a Mac, I'm pretty sure it'll be something similar
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

gorgeous1 wrote:thanks for reply. Both are in applications folders and some open with open office, some tell me 'this is first time you've opened libre'. but the layouts on the files with open seem very different e.g. the fonts have changed and i can't work out how to change them, plus other differences.
The fonts will be the same in a specific file when opened in either application. Both OpenOffice and LibreOffice use the same format, as I previously stated. Opening a file created in one program on the other one does not change anything in the file.
1) I still have no idea how it could happen
You installed both programs on your Mac. Neither one installs itself. Neither one came with your Mac.
2) Open office seems the dominant one as everything i open as libre gets saved as open office
As I stated in an earlier post both programs use the same file format. Only the icon representing the file format is different.
3) how can i get rid of this nuisance and leave everything as libre office
Uninstall one of the programs. I recommend using OpenOffice.
Uninstalling is done the same as uninstalling most other programs. This is a basic Mac operation. If you don't know how to do so you should run (not walk) to your nearest bookstore and but a basic book on using Macs, such as "Mac OS X for Dummies".

thanks
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
gorgeous1

Post by gorgeous1 »

thanks-you're certainly right, but when you live with a computer programmer you tend to leave these things to her. Unfortunately she died last month, so this sudden takeover of a program I didn't know existed threw me a bit! I'm usually ok at finding my way round, but i've never had to uninstal anything before and mac help is pretty useless. Still managed to get rid of open office, although the icons remain which seems a bit weird!
thank you all for your help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be that your late companion had installed OpenOffice alongside LibreOffice with a view to testing it's stability, and that something you inadvertently did made it the dominant program.

It is the case that OO is slower in development than LO (less "features"), but is generally felt to be more stable; it and LO should open .odt files almost identically, unless LO is using OpenGL fonts.
chuanist

Post by chuanist »

I am running both Open Office and Libre Office on a MacBook Pro, using Mac OS 10.9.5. At this point, Writer in Libre Office for the Mac has an orientation bug when saving files as PDF's for printing and/or when printing directly to a device. A look on the OL forum confirms that the latest Mac-ized version has this bug. Since I can't use LO right now, I have downloaded the latest Mac version of OO and it is working well. Today I made and printed several PDF's at a service bureau and all works as it should.

I did try OO some years ago and ran into problems trying to format and print business size envelopes. I will attempt to do so using OO for Mac 4.1.4, and am really hoping it goes well, because Writer looks like a good candidate to replace MS Word 2008. (I can't stand the later versions of Word, and hate MS for removing macros and VB from 2008.)

Best luck, fellow Mac users!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 for the Mac

Running on Mac OS 10.9.5 (for the graphics apps)