[Solved] Cannot delete files from OpenOffice icon in dock

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
kadon

[Solved] Cannot delete files from OpenOffice icon in dock

Post by kadon »

I cannot delete Open Office files. I went to help section and was told I would need to install JRE.
I do not want to install Java on my MAC if I can help it.

Is it not possible just to delete the files?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Mac
RoryOF

Re: Cannot delete OF files

Post by RoryOF »

You can easily delete any file at operating system level. Outside of OpenOffice, highlight the icon of that file and press the Delete key, or right click on it and select Delete from the popup menu.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kadon

Post by kadon »

Sorry I should have explained furthrer. I can delete them directly from my desktop, but
when I click on the Icon for OO (in the dock of my Mac) they remain listed there.
It is from that list that I cannot delete them.
Mac
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

kadon wrote:but when I click on the Icon for OO (in the dock of my Mac) they remain listed there.
Mac OS X is keeping track of them in the Dock, not OpenOffice, so you need to make changes from the Mac OS X side. On my system the relevant file is ~/Library/Preferences/org.openoffice.script.LSSharedFileList.plist, though it may depend on the Mac OS X level. You could remove individual files with Apple's Propertly List Editor application. If your system doesn't have that, you will have to download/install it from Apple. If you want to get rid of all of the Dock history for OpenOffice, Quit OpenOffice and then drag that file to the Trash. Disclaimer: I haven't tried that. If that action causes something to break, Quit OpenOffice again and restore the file from the Trash.

The simplest solution is to just ignore the list for a while. As you edit new files, their names should replace older ones in the Dock. After a while all the old ones will be gone. Just let Apple manage the list and ignore entries you don't like. If you're using the list to open files, try File → Recent Documents inside OpenOffice. That is controlled by OpenOffice and you can manage its size and entries with the History Master extension. Or open your file by typing its name (or a portion thereof or text within the file) in the Spotlight window.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
kadon

Post by kadon »

I tried to drag them into trash but no go. I will follow your other suggestion and if not successful will wait patiently until they leave of their own accord. Thank you very much for comprehensive answer.
Mac