[Solved] File password problems

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
smoker

[Solved] File password problems

Post by smoker »

I suddenly cannot open any of my ods files that are password protected. I have hundreds of them. I know the password is typed correctly so I sent my husband the file and he can open it using Open Office on his Windows 10 laptop using the password. I tried uninstalling Open Office & reinstalling, uninstalling & restoring it from backup, all to no avail. I also uninstalled and downloaded a previous version, 4.1.1 instead of the 4.1.3 I was using but that did not help. Please help! I am reading online that this seems to be an ongoing issue for many years and seems to be effecting the Mac OSX. I am using El Capitan, V 10.11.6 Any suggestions? :crazy:

My sincere thanks to Robleyd-(for the link especially!). I deleted the app Firefox and now can open all my password 'ods' files and also create new files & pswd protect them. I am so happy! I remembered trying Firefox for a different problem I was having just before this problem with OO happened and that was exactly what it was!!

Thanks to all who tried to help-hope it doesn't happen again but I may just password protect a file folder instead of individual files. :D
Last edited by smoker on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Mac El Capitan 10.11.6
RusselB

Re: file password problems

Post by RusselB »

Based on what you have written, my next suggestion would be to make a new User Profile.
For details see [Tutorial]Mac FAQ in particular Q02/A02
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
smoker

Re: file password problems

Post by smoker »

did that, did not work but thanks for the suggestion
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Mac El Capitan 10.11.6
MrProgrammer

Re: File password problems

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
smoker wrote:I suddenly cannot open any of my ods files that are password protected
Mac FAQ, Q08/A08.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Here is the link for the reference MrProgrammer gave:

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The exact same Tutorial linked in my post.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Duh! :oops:
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers