[Solved] Document recovery

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
gregmanchuk

[Solved] Document recovery

Post by gregmanchuk »

i have open office 3.2.0 on macOS Sierra 10.12.5. i lost/deleted my open office documents. is it possible to recover them? they do not exist in the computer. nor are they in iCloud.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on macOS Sierra 10.12.5
robleyd

Re: document recovery

Post by robleyd »

As soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva (Windows only) or PhotoRec for Win, MacOS, Linux and other OSes (only one needed) and let it do an in-depth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
charlie.it
Volunteer

Re: Document recovery

Post by charlie.it »

Ciao, in Mac o.s. there is Time Machine for automatic backup of all files, did you not use it?
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
gregmanchuk

Post by gregmanchuk »

no. thanks. i think i lost everything. in the folder for "recents" i can see the documents listed, but when i click on a document, it says that the document does not exist.
JohnSmith75

Post by JohnSmith75 »

Among a large number of services for information recovery, I prefer cleverfiles. The program supports MacOs and has a simple interface where everything is intuitively clear, you may download here [url]https://www.cleverfiles.com/file-recove ... e-mac.html[/url] hopefully, it will help you.
OpenOffice 2.4 with Linux Mint
gregmanchuk

Post by gregmanchuk »

JohnSmith75: Thank you very much for your referral to cleverfiles. they found my files and, for $89, i recovered them. i had previously had some so-called professionals remotely try to recover the files, but they gave up after two days. thanks again. per charlie's suggestion, i'll try to learn about time machine. greg
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Just out of curiosity, did photorec not find deleted files for you?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
gregmanchuk

Post by gregmanchuk »

got the cleverfiles website before i had the chance to look up website and try photorec.
JohnSmith75

Post by JohnSmith75 »

gregmanchuk wrote:JohnSmith75: Thank you very much for your referral to cleverfiles. they found my files and, for $89, i recovered them. i had previously had some so-called professionals remotely try to recover the files, but they gave up after two days. thanks again. per charlie's suggestion, i'll try to learn about time machine. greg
You are welcome!
OpenOffice 2.4 with Linux Mint
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Document recovery

Post by John_Ha »

For those searching,see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
droider

Re: [Solved] Document recovery

Post by droider »

In my opinion Recuva app is the best for documents recovery. I didn't test it with OpenOffice docs but it works with Word docs.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10