[Solved] Can't open file with correct password

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
ve6hba@gmail.com

[Solved] Can't open file with correct password

Post by ve6hba@gmail.com »

I can't open a file with a correct password on my Mac mini, but. . . I can open the same file with the correct password on my Mac Laptop. Both run the same version of macOS Sierra 10.12.2 :crazy: Maybe someone can figure this one out, ha.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.3 MacOS Ver. Sierra 10.12.2
MrProgrammer

Re: can't open file with CORRECT PASSWORD

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
ve6hba@gmail.com wrote:I can't open a file with a correct password on my Mac mini, but. . . I can open the same file with the correct password on my Mac Laptop.
Issue 125431 - "The Password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened."
[Solved] Unchanged password not accepted

My advice: Use Finder → Go → Utilities → Disk Utility.app → File → New → Blank Disk Image → Size → {You choose} → Encryption → 128-bit AES → Default for everything else. Create and save an encrypted disk image. Use a strong password. Do not forget the password or your data is gone forever. Store sensitive documents in the encrypted disk image instead of using Open Office password protection. Read about disk images in Finder → Help → About Disk Images.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
ve6hba@gmail.com

Is this really a solution to my delemma, i think not. Refrasing my question:
Why does Open Office forget passwords on some computers and not on others.
I saved the identical file on both computers.
That being said keep the solution coming.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

As far as I understand the problem, OpenOffice relies on encryption algorhythms that are not guaranteed to be the same on every system.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ve6hba@gmail.com

Re: [Issue] Can't open file with correct password

How about this . . . I had also saved this identical file to a local MediaShair 2 Server,
by printing the file to PDF. This PDF file can still be opened by my Mac Mini, the same
computer that can't open the ODS file. I can also open the PDF file with both my 2 iPads and
2 iPhones. As far as using DISK IMAGES to protect my files is concerned, MediaShair 2
does not support displaying these on iPads or iPones.
Every one needs access to this password protected file on all Macs, all iPhones and all iPad.
So I will put the PDF password protected file on the Medishair Server, for distribution,
and keep the original file protected on a Disk Image. I think I solved my problem?
DANIEL BRUNO

Post by DANIEL BRUNO »

Hello

When i try to open a password protected .ods files in a SECOND i receive a message the password is incorrect.
OPENOFFICE VERSION 4.1.3 OSX 10.10.15
ChrisRough

Post by ChrisRough »

I have a similar issue.
I have a password protected odt file held in a Dropbox folder.
I can't unlock it on Macbook Air (macOS 10.12.5) as of 4 days ago.
It opens correctly with the password on both an iPhone 6S (ios 10.3.1) and Macbook Pro (macOS 10.12.4).

I have deleted the OpenOffice folder in Application Support and reinstalled the app with a restart between each stage.
No change.

There is a further anomoly that might indicate the cause.

odt files cannot be written with a password and give - General Input/Output Error.

Word 97 (.doc) files can be written with a password.

Chris.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 running on Macbook Air macOS 10.12.5

Also iPhone 6S and Macbook Pro
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Can't open file with correct password

Post by Hagar Delest »

Solved in AOO 4.1.8.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10