[Solved] Copying Windows files to Mac

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
frd

[Solved] Copying Windows files to Mac

Post by frd »

Copied some open writer files to a usb memory stick and (having installed 4.3.1 on my Mac book) tried to paste it into that, but nothing happened. Can it be done some other way?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Openoffice 4.1.3 Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
RusselB

Re: copying windows files to mac

Post by RusselB »

Did you try just opening the files from the USB stick using your Mac, or copying the files from the USB stick to your Mac and then using File -> Open?
The fact that the files are coming from a Windows machine shouldn't matter, unlike years ago when Windows and Mac machines used different file formats.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
frd

Post by frd »

Tried opening USB on Mac -- only got a blank page! copying and pasting failedasltogether. Grateful any further advice
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

frd wrote:Tried opening USB on Mac -- only got a blank page! copying and pasting failedasltogether. Grateful any further advice
Copy and paste???
Why not just open the file with AOO.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
frd

Post by frd »

Sorry Larry I must be dumb. When the USB is in the Mac how do I open it on AOO?
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Does the USB drive get a drive letter when inserted into the Mac? If so, just use File -> Open (then navigate to the USB drive)
If not, how do you normally access files on a USB using the Mac?
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
frd

Post by frd »

I get a desktop notice of the name on the USB --and when I click that get a blank screen. Other usbs with photos etc work fine!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

On Unix-like systems such as Linux and OSX there is no concept of drive letters; storage systems (fixed or removable) are mounted as a directory which is part of the file system. [Strictly speaking everything is treated as a file but we won't go down that rabbit hole for this purpose.]

So when the media is mounted it may display as e.g. Imation but may actually be mounted as something like /run/media/huntsman/IMATION (what my Slackware/KDE does for example). You can then do a File | Open in AOO and navigate to that folder.

Does it happen that if you navigate to the media using whatever OSX offers as a file manager, the media doesn't show any files?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

frd wrote:I get a desktop notice of the name on the USB --and when I click that get a blank screen. Other usbs with photos etc work fine!
Then there is either nothing on the USB or the USB is defective.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
frd

Post by frd »

well, Larry when I put the USB into the old windows computer it immediately illustrates all the docs on it in drive:/E. But in the newer Mac nuthin!!
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

frd wrote:well, Larry when I put the USB into the old windows computer it immediately illustrates all the docs on it in drive:/E. But in the newer Mac nuthin!!
The problem has nothing to do with Apache OpenOffice. It is either with the USB drive or with your Mac.

What file types are you trying to transfer?
What file system is the USB drive formatted as? Most flash drives come formated as FAT 32, which Macs can also read. Current Windows us NTFS which Macs can read but can't write to.

You can use DIsk Utlilty on your Mac to check out the Flash drive ( Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities.app )
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
frd

Post by frd »

tkyu will do
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Also, try using a different flash drive.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
frd

Re: Copying Windows files to Mac

Post by frd »

Larry, used new usb this morning and it worked but....this afternoon tried again and it didn't! Also the files I had saved onto Open Writer on the Mac this morning have also disappeared!
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

frd wrote:Larry, used new usb this morning and it worked but....this afternoon tried again and it didn't! Also the files I had saved onto Open Writer on the Mac this morning have also disappeared!
What do you mean by "Saved onto Open Writer"? Documents are usually saved in your documents folder. You do not save them into Apache OpenOffice.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
frd

Post by frd »

Larry thankyou, you're right. Now saved them into documents and they are there! A lot of learning to do!