[Solved] Mac OS Sierra 10.12: All OpenOffice programs crash

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
rose_tinted

[Solved] Mac OS Sierra 10.12: All OpenOffice programs crash

Post by rose_tinted »

Hi all,

This is the first time I have ever posted on something like this so hoping you can help me.

I have upgraded to Mac OS Sierra. I transferred over my files and applications from old Mac to this one. Now Open Office 4.1.1 crashes every time I open it.

Please can someone tell me what I need to update for this to work as worked on my old MacBook Pro 2010 fine. Now my MacBook Pro 2016 won't let it run.

Thanks!
Rose
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS Sierra 10.12
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Mac OS Sierra 10.12 - All OpenOffice programmes crash.

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

Try resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile in this Tutorial thread.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
rose_tinted

Post by rose_tinted »

Hi John, thanks for replying - I have a MacBook Pro and these instructions are for Windows. Any info on how to make it work on a Mac?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Check the post at the beginning of the tutorial, you'll have the instructions for Mac.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
rose_tinted wrote:Please can someone tell me what I need to update for this to work as worked on my old MacBook Pro 2010 fine. Now my MacBook Pro 2016 won't let it run.
Others with MacBooks have had problems with graphics switching. Read about that in the other topic.
Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 18.42.05 .jpg
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

MrProgrammer wrote:Please search first before posting. Did it occur to you to read the responses in the post right next to yours which has the exact same title?
To give the whole picture, OP posted in that main topic but I split it because replies were to different posters. It doesn't mean either that all the fixes presented in that main topic have been tried.
rose_tinted

Post by rose_tinted »

Thanks for your advice Hagar and John - I followed the steps listed to rename the user profile, but I'm still getting an error (with new user name). See below the details

Error code:
Logical CPU: 3
Error Code: 0x00000006
Trap Number: 14

@MrProgrammer - Always nice to be welcomed by a friendly comment on your first post. As I'm not used to this process, or technical, I thought posting a polite plea for help would be the most logical since I couldn't follow the existing ones. Thanks for your very verbose reply though.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

rose_tinted wrote:@MrProgrammer - Always nice to be welcomed by a friendly comment on your first post. As I'm not used to this process, or technical, I thought posting a polite plea for help would be the most logical since I couldn't follow the existing ones. Thanks for your very verbose reply though.
This is also my fault, I should have added a note saying that I'd split the topic. The kind of comment you've seen is rather rare in this forum, I did not expect it and I can assure you that it's not representative of MrProgrammer.

It's best to state in the problem description what hints given elsewhere you've followed so that we don't ask the same questions again and again. It can make us believe that you've not read anything at all from previous users discussion.
rose_tinted

Post by rose_tinted »

Thanks Hagar. I understand. I am going to reset the user name to how it was like you say on the other page. What would your advice be for me to try next? OO is sometimes working when I open a file rather than opening OO first. I really want to keep using OO so hoping there is a fix - presuming other new Mac users have continued to use it....?
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

I do not have the problematic hardware and have not experienced the problem you're reporting, but my guess is that you should go to System Preferences → Energy Saver, and uncheck Automatic graphics switching. From reading other posts, this is necessary on some MacBooks, and Open Office will not run reliably until you do that. You can reset the profile if you like, but if the crash is caused by graphics switching, the profile reset will not help and will be a waste of your time. Turn off graphics switching (if your Macbook has the Automatic graphics switching setting) and please tell us if that solved the problem or not.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
rose_tinted

Post by rose_tinted »

Thanks for this advice though my Mac doesn't have the Automatic Graphics Switching setting :(
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

rose_tinted wrote:Thanks for this advice though my Mac doesn't have the Automatic Graphics Switching setting :(
Only 15"MacBook Pros have graphic switchin. You must have the 13". What year is it?

Did you reset your user profile?

Your signature says you have OpenOffice 4.1.1. The newest version of Apache OpenOffice is 4.1.3

Do you have a Java Runtime Environment installed? Some parts of AOO require a JRE. There have been reports of AOO crashing when there is no Java installed.
AOO requires that the Apple Legacy version of Java is installed. Download it at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572
Ii is also a good idea to install the latest verion of Java from Oracle. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
rose_tinted

Post by rose_tinted »

Thanks Igusaas! It is 2016 model. It seems to be working now since I did a systems update yesterday. Thanks all very much for your help. MUCH appreciated. How do I turn the post to done so it doesn't annoy people being active?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

How to tag a topic as solved.

In your first post, click the Edit button. Go to the subject line and add [Solved] at the beginning of the subject.

Then select the tick as the Post icon (just below the subject line). Preview if you wish to see how it looks.
Finally, hit Submit - done!
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
rose_tinted

Re: [Solved] Mac OS Sierra 10.12: All OpenOffice programs cr

Post by rose_tinted »

Thanks Robleyd