[Solved] No accented characters in Mac OSX Sierra

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
MattOnTheNet

[Solved] No accented characters in Mac OSX Sierra

Post by MattOnTheNet »

When holding down the a, e, i, o or u character, OSX opens up an accent selection window. This works for *all* situations where input from the keyboard is expected. Like in this (Safari)) application. à è î etcetera. Strangely enough, this does not work when in any of the applications of OpenOffice. (write, spreadsheet, database, presentation and so on. Instead of opening up the accent window, I get a bunch of characters (i.e. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

I've check all the settings of both the OO application and OSX language and keyboard settings (US International keyboard, language Dutch) and am using the latest OO version 4.1.3.

Does Mac user recognise this problem and, hopefully, has a solution?

Best regards, Matthew
Last edited by floris v on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged as Solved, floris v, moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on el Capitan
RoryOF

Re: No accented characters in Mac OSX Sierra

Post by RoryOF »

I can't say if this will work on a Mac, but as the current Mac software is largely based in linux, I think it worth a try:
In OpenOffice press Shift + Alt-Gr, then type the letter you wish (e.g. a) and then the modifier (e.g. '); this will give the character showing the combined components (if they are combinable).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MattOnTheNet

Post by MattOnTheNet »

Thank you for your quick answer, though using Shift+Alt+Grey something is that I used some 10 years ago under MS Windows!

Kind regards,

Matthew

<typos>
MattOnTheNet

Post by MattOnTheNet »

[SOLVED]

Found a methode. First type quote or double-quote then a, e, i etc. and presto! an accented character. Looks like the old WordPerfect method and not the OSX method but very useable.

Thank you all for your suggestions and other replies!

Regards,

Matthew
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

From the Mac Help window:
Use the Keyboard Viewer
See where characters for other languages, and special characters and symbols, are located on your keyboard.

1.Click the Input menu in the menu bar, then choose Show Keyboard Viewer.
If the command isn’t shown, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Keyboard, click Keyboard, then select “Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar.”

2. Click the Input menu in the menu bar, then choose the input source for the language whose keyboard you want to view.

3. Press the key on your keyboard that corresponds to the character shown in the Keyboard Viewer, or click keys in the Keyboard Viewer.
Press a modifier key, or a combination of modifier keys, to see special characters or symbols you can type. For example, hold down the Option key or the Option and Shift keys.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
MattOnTheNet

Post by MattOnTheNet »

Wow Igusaas! This is one I am certainly saving in my "Golden Tips" map!
Thank you very much!

Matthew