[Solved] Mac OS Sierra 10.12 - OpenOffice programmes crash.

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
GSMET

[Solved] Mac OS Sierra 10.12 - OpenOffice programmes crash.

Post by GSMET »

I've just purchased a new Macbook.

After the typical issues one experiences with Microsoft Word I decided to switch back to OpenOffice as I've used in the past on my PCs.

Unfortunately all OpenOffice programmes seem to crash after a few seconds or a few clicks (such as changing default font settings in Writer).

Is this a compatability issue with the latest version of my operating system or is it possible to fix?

Can copy and paste the error report here if that helps, let me know!

Thanks in advance :super:

P.S. Apologies if this is in the wrong section, didn't seem to fit in the installation section as it's technically already installed.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.3

MacOS Sierra 10.12
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Mac OS Sierra 10.12 - All OpenOffice programmes crash.

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

There is something wrong with your PC or your installation of AOO. Thousands of other Mac users run AOO successfully.

I know nothing about Macs so cannot offer further advice other than that which I offer to Windows users.

1 Reset the profile as Resetting the user profile. Does that fix it?

2 Boot the PC in Safe Mode so that none of the programs which start when the PC boots are set going. Does it now happen? If not, identify which startup program is causing the problem.

3 Create a new user on the PC. Download AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html and install AOO for him as the sole user. Is his implementation OK? If not, is it OK when booting in Safe Mode?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

AOO 4.1.3 should work fine on Sierra. Are you sure that you installed it to the Applications folder and run it from there?
The reported issue with crashing after a few operations is typical of what happens when you run software from a write protected storage, such as a downloaded dmg file.

Did you...
  • Open the downloaded compressed disk image (dmg) file to show a "seagulls on blue background" icon and a folder icon,
  • drag the seagulls icon to the Applications folder icon (that folder icon inside the dmg is a "symbolic link", effectively a shortcut to your system's Applications folder),
  • close the dmg,
  • in Finder, open the Applications folder ,
  • in the Applications folder, find the "OpenOffice" seagulls icon and start OpenOffice from that ?
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
GSMET

Post by GSMET »

Hi John,

thanks for the tips.

So I began going through the list of things you suggested but have hit a little snag.

1. Attempted to reset my user profile as described in the link you provided.
When I reopened OpenOffice I got the following message:
OO_error_userprofile.png
It did, however, create a new "users" folder in the right place.

2. As this failed I replaced the user profile with the original one and booted my machine in Safe Mode.

Unexpectedly, the same error as in step 1 has occurred and I now can't seem to be able to open the programme at all. Hesitant to click "Yes" on this message in case it messes up the user profile completely.

Have you encountered anything like this before with PCs?

NB: I did check all processes before carrying out these steps and I couldn't see any lingering OpenOffice processes still running. A little confused as to what may still have been running to produce this error.
OpenOffice 4.1.3

MacOS Sierra 10.12
GSMET

Post by GSMET »

keme wrote:AOO 4.1.3 should work fine on Sierra. Are you sure that you installed it to the Applications folder and run it from there?
The reported issue with crashing after a few operations is typical of what happens when you run software from a write protected storage, such as a downloaded dmg file.

Did you...
  • Open the downloaded compressed disk image (dmg) file to show a "seagulls on blue background" icon and a folder icon,
  • drag the seagulls icon to the Applications folder icon (that folder icon inside the dmg is a "symbolic link", effectively a shortcut to your system's Applications folder),
  • close the dmg,
  • in Finder, open the Applications folder ,
  • in the Applications folder, find the "OpenOffice" seagulls icon and start OpenOffice from that ?
Hi Keme,

Thanks for your response.

Yes I did all the installation as you have stated :)
OpenOffice 4.1.3

MacOS Sierra 10.12
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The error message - it is always so useful to read them thoroughly and/or post them - suggests that you have multiple instances of soffice.exe or soffice.bin running which is causing the problem. Stop them or reboot if you don't know the Mac equivalent of TaskManager.

See [Issue] OOo hangs with multiple soffice.exe in Task Manager
Clipboard01.png
If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
GSMET

Post by GSMET »

Hi,

Yes, after reading the error message I also deduced that it must be because I have a lingering process running.

However, I've checked everything and there's nothing I can see that looks OpenOffice-based
activity_monitor_error.jpg
I wonder if there is any significance to the host ID, given that ".cf.ac.uk" is an extension used by my University?
OpenOffice 4.1.3

MacOS Sierra 10.12
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Reboot.

It looks like you have someone else on your network installation accessing your profile? document?

Perhaps disconnect from the university network before restarting and restart it stand-alone. Does that fix it?
Last edited by John_Ha on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GSMET

Post by GSMET »

Have just rebooted for the third time.

EDIT: Apologies, window only loaded the beginning of your message so I only saw the word "reboot" :knock:

I'll try disconnecting now and I'll let you know how I get on
Last edited by GSMET on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3

MacOS Sierra 10.12
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Disconnect from the network before rebooting so that you start it stand-alone. Does that fix it?

GSMET

Post by GSMET »

Hi sorry,

Having properly read your message (see edit above), I've rebooted without being connected to the network but, unfortunately, still same error message again.

I suppose at this point I could attempt to uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps?

Perhaps I messed something up when attempting to create a new user profile
OpenOffice 4.1.3

MacOS Sierra 10.12
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You could try stopping AOO and deleting any C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\.lock file you find. Its presence says that your AOO is running.

It will probably be quickest and simplest to uninstall.

Be sure that you remove all settings and profile (In W7, delete C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\) and delete all AOO files. Re-install and select a clean re-install - do not try to re-use your previous settings.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

One thing. When you disconnected from the network are you sure you did so? Remember to disconnect any Ethernet cable, and disconnect and switch off any wireless. Check by trying to access the internet - you should be unable to do when disconnected.

GSMET

Post by GSMET »

Yeah, when I rebooted I was definitely not connected to anything. I've double checked all my Network sharing settings and nobody should be able to access anything apart from me.

I've also just tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling OpenOffice (only guidelines I found online for doing so were just to delete the application from the applications folder. Macs appear to be overly simplified).

Unfortunately, error message is still appearing. (at this point if you'd like to abandon ship I completely understand!)

Not sure what my next move should be.

I'll post the error message as text so if anyone else ever gets it then they can search for it and see what we've tried:
Either another instance of OpenOffice is accessing your personal settings or your personal settings are locked.
Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings. Before continuing, you should ensure user 'username' closes OpenOffice on host 'v2962-0a924ebe.wifi.cf.ac.uk'.
Do you really want to continue?
I suppose I could always try clicking "Yes" and see what happens?
OpenOffice 4.1.3

MacOS Sierra 10.12
GSMET

Post by GSMET »

Right, I have good news and bad news.

The good news:

I've managed to get rid of the error message. Found this topic from a few years back: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25340

From what I can gather the error message occured for me probably because I switched on FindMyMac a few days ago. This generates a "guest" user on the Macbook which, in turn, prompts OpenOffice to create a file called .lock in the same location as the "user" folder where the user profile/settings for OpenOffice etc are stored. Presumably in reaction to me fiddling with the "user" folder and trying to generate a new one. For some reason this prompts the error message that I started getting.

Deleting the .lock file (I just moved it somewhere else just in case it was needed) stops the error message from occurring and OpenOffice opens again.

The bad news:

OpenOffice still crashes after a few clicks :lol:
OpenOffice 4.1.3

MacOS Sierra 10.12
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Prove it is FindMyMac by stopping FindMyMac from running (and rebooting?).

If it is OK, you know what is causing it and you need to find a way to get FindMyMac and OO to co-exist. That question is better asked on a Mac forum.

My original point 2 would have found it ... :crazy:
2 Boot the PC in Safe Mode so that none of the programs which start when the PC boots are set going. Does it now happen? If not, identify which startup program is causing the problem.
GSMET wrote:I suppose I could always try clicking "Yes" and see what happens?
Absolutely - it's your PC!

MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
GSMET wrote:… all OpenOffice programmes seem to crash after a few seconds …
Read about Graphics Switching on a MacBook in OO 4.1.3 not opening on MacOS Sierra 10.12.1 tried it all !. Tell us if this does or does not solve the problem.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

If it is not that graphics hardware feature handling issue, it may be some fault in your file system.

Start Disk tool (from Applications/Utilities) and run the first aid kit on the system partition.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10