OO 4.1.3 crashes every time on Sierra

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
jhoefs

OO 4.1.3 crashes every time on Sierra

Post by jhoefs »

Hello!

My open office install is crashing all the time; up till' now it worked fine. I am running Sierra on a MacBook Air.

I've tried reinstalling it a couple of times, updating Java (to 8), and running it just from the disk image (per suggestions on forums).

I am just at a critical stage in a project. Can you please help? I believe in open source and want openoffice to work for me!

It creates an error messge: Exception Name: NSInternalInconsistencyException Description: Invalid parameter not satisfying: index < [_itemArray count] User Info: (null)

Thank you so much!

Jonathan
Mac Sierra, Open Office 4.1.3
RoryOF

Re: OO 4.1.3 crashes every time on Sierra

Post by RoryOF »

Try going to System Preferences>Energy Saver, and unchecking "Automatic graphics switching". This has been reported to cure the problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jhoefs

Post by jhoefs »

Thank you for the reply - I went to system preferences>energy saver and found no "automatic graphics switching setting". This is in Mac Sierra. Some MAC OS forums have reported that only certain devices have this option, one seems to suggest that choosing between between Higher performance or Better battery life is the equivalent for some systems, but I don't see a setting for this, either in energy saver.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot help further, but I know it would be helpful to Mac informed Forum volunteers to know the model number of your Mac.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jhoefs

Post by jhoefs »

MacBook Air 7, 1, Intel Core i5, any other info helpful?
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

jhoefs wrote:Thank you for the reply - I went to system preferences>energy saver and found no "automatic graphics switching setting". This is in Mac Sierra. Some MAC OS forums have reported that only certain devices have this option, one seems to suggest that choosing between between Higher performance or Better battery life is the equivalent for some systems, but I don't see a setting for this, either in energy saver.
Only 15" MacBook Pros have that option. They use both a dedicated GPU and the integrated GPU. Also, the solution only applies to older Macs.

Have you installed the legacy Apple Java 6? Doing so is the #1 priority to fix this problem.

Also have you reset your user profile.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
jhoefs

Post by jhoefs »

Hi! I did a Java update that was automatically Java 8 - your suggesting I specifically update to Java 6? And how do I do that?
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

jhoefs wrote:Hi! I did a Java update that was automatically Java 8 - your suggesting I specifically update to Java 6? And how do I do that?
I've mentioned this several times on other threads. A search would have found them.

Here is a link: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=85216#p396960
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
jhoefs

Post by jhoefs »

"Java for OS X 2015-001 installs the legacy Java 6 runtime for OS X 10.11 El Capitan, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and OS X 10.7 Lion."
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

jhoefs wrote:"Java for OS X 2015-001 installs the legacy Java 6 runtime for OS X 10.11 El Capitan, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and OS X 10.7 Lion."
I said you needed to install it, so do it. The text on that webpage has not been updated since Sierra came out.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
jhoefs

Post by jhoefs »

Any one else have any suggestions? Already tried Java 6 Legacy and this did not fix the problem.
jhoefs

Post by jhoefs »

Here is part of the most recent error report; it didn't even get as far as opening a file. Please let me know if more information would be helpful.

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]