Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
musicchick581

Re: OpenOffice crashes on Mac OS Sierra

Post by musicchick581 »

Patrick Bravard wrote:Hello musicchick851,

What type of mac please?
Can you save documents?

Cheers
The new imac. No. I can't open it at all and found out when I open it from a previous document it force closes anyway.
Open Office 4.1 on MacOS 10.12
Patrick Bravard

Post by Patrick Bravard »

Is it a 5K display?
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
alandunn

Post by alandunn »

I think the difference lies in not having a Java 1.6 Run Time Environment (JRE). The update to Sierra removed Java 1.6, then even after re-installing Java 1.6 via the Apple website I have been unable to find a JRE path. I can find a path to Java - but nothing that OO will recognise as a Java Run Time Environment
Alan Dunn
OPen Office 4.1.2 running on Mac OS X
Patrick Bravard

Hi Alan,

As I already posted earlier

I have two computers, an iMac 27" late 2015 and a MacBook Pro 13" Late 2011...
I have updated both to Sierra 10.12.
Both machines run Open Office 4.1.2 with the JRE 1.8.0_101

Both computers operated without a glitch in Open Office under El Capitan... After upgrading to Sierra, the MacBook Pro continued to work properly, the iMac is not doing the same. It first crashed. I re-intalled the legacy Java... Then the Open Office file opened but the menu icons are corrupted and the graphics in eluded in my spreadsheets are also corrupted... Cannot save any file, OO crashes every time. Whereas none of these problems exist on the MacBook Pro...

I add that the files are common to both computers since they are stored on Dropbox...

I'm convinced it has to do with the display (5K or not) or something similar...

Is there anyone who could understand the crash log? This may be a way to assess the problem.

Cheers,

Patrick

It is all very mysterious but I really think it has to do with the hardware difference between machines.
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you suspect it is to do with the display, can you, as a temporary measure, turn the display down to something like 1280 x 1024 to see if OO will run stable on that? There were reports some years ago about OO having problems when the display exceeded 2560 pixels wide.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Patrick Bravard

Hello Rory,

I have tried that, although, on a 5K display you cannot specify the number of pixel but only "scaling"
I also tried to start Open Office in the Low Resolution mode... No difference. The application crashed after few seconds... Even before I tried to save the document... The graphics are still corrupted...

I captured the first few lines of the crash report:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Process: soffice [11052]
Path: /Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice
Identifier: org.openoffice.script
Version: 4.1.2 (???)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: soffice [11052]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2016-10-09 20:05:21.088 +1100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12 (16A323)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 931D0712-A9CD-C9A1-A6AB-F58ABAF2678A

Time Awake Since Boot: 710000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
abort() called
*** error for object 0x7fcc176c6200: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.

------------

Please note that OO worked properly on the same iMac 27" until last week under El Capitan... So it is NOT ONLY a display issue but also something introduced with the Sierra code...

Best regards,

Patrick
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I don't use a Mac, so cannot help; the only advice I can give is to pay close attention to postings by lgussas and Mr Programmer [inter alia], both of whom have much Mac experience.e.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Patrick Bravard wrote:Both computers operated without a glitch in Open Office under El Capitan... After upgrading to Sierra, the MacBook Pro continued to work properly, the iMac is not doing the same. It first crashed. I re-intalled the legacy Java... Then the Open Office file opened but the menu icons are corrupted and the graphics in eluded in my spreadsheets are also corrupted... Cannot save any file, OO crashes every time. Whereas none of these problems exist on the MacBook Pro...
Can you access OpenOffice/Preferences? If so check that Java is enabled. There needs to be a check mark beside "Use a Java runtime environment". Also a check beside the specific JRE you are using. (I am using version 1.8.0_101)
Is there anyone who could understand the crash log? This may be a way to assess the problem.
It is all very mysterious but I really think it has to do with the hardware difference between machines.
Sorry, I can't decipher Apple's crash codes.
I would try resetting your user profile. Weird things can happen if it gets corrupted.
See the thread [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
Specifically this post: Resetting the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
dylan51

Post by dylan51 »

Open Office is running on:
iMac (27 Zoll, Mid 2010)
2,93 GHz Intel Core i7
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
with OS Sierra
Open Office 4.1.2 on macOS Sierra
Patrick Bravard

Hello Igusaas,

Yes Java is on, same as yours...
I will reset the user profile and let you know if it makes a difference.
What I would like to know is if anyone has Open Office 4.1.2 working properly on and iMac late 2015 with Sierra 10.12 installed? This would eliminate lots of possibilities!
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
phil.l

Post by phil.l »

Similar problem to those listed above where the graphics are corrupted, it crashes if I try to open it from the dock or application and if i open an old file any mouse click crashes it. I am running Mac Sierra.

I have tried installing the Java from https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 but nothing has changed.

I can find Java when I go to Macintosh HD/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines and look for 1.6.0.jdk. But when I have gone through OO Preferences and ensured 'use a java run time environment' is clicked nothing is listed under the Vendor, Version, Features. I have then tried to add one but it comes up with a message saying the 'folder does not contain a java run time environment'. Does anyone know which folder you need to click to add it?

I have also tried to reset my Profile but that doesn't seem to have changed anything either. I get to the registration page but after entering my details it crashes on me.

I tried this - Still not fixed: a dev seems to have recently found the root cause: close OpenOffice (including the Quickstarter) and in the user profile, go to the folder /user/extensions/bundled/. Rename the files extensions.pmap and extensions.db (if they do exist). Restart OpenOffice and see if there is any improvement. But i don't know what he means when he means in the last sentence. Rename them as those extensions or change them to something else? I tried changing their name but nothing changed when I open OO.

This seems to be all the suggestions which have been made and still it doesn't work. Frustrating but if anyone has any answers to my questions or new ideas please let me know? Really appreciate any help.

Thanks
Open Office 4.1.2 on Mac OS Siera 10.12
Patrick Bravard

Hi Phil.l,

You don't say what type of machine you are using. Can you please let us know? Type, year, etc...

Thanks

Patrick
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
phil.l

Post by phil.l »

Sorry, MacBook Pro Late 2015. OS Sierra 10.12.

Is it a possibility that Java wont download or install properly? I have just tried to download it from https://java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp but once it is installed it offers to Verify and then shows it is 'missing plug in'. I've gone through some help pages and got to the Safari Installed Plug Ins list and Java isn't listed on there! Could that be a problem? I appreciate it's another program but it made me question is the issue with the Java download?
alandunn

Post by alandunn »

I agree with Phil - 3 times I have downloaded and installed Java 1.6 from the Mac site. It goes through all the motions but at the end of it when you try to set a Java environment in OO preferences I cannot find a folder which AOO will recognise as a valid JRE environment...
Alan Dunn
OPen Office 4.1.2 running on Mac OS X
Patrick Bravard

Hello Alandunn,

What type of computer are you using? The type and the year please.

Thanks,

Patrick
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

alandunn wrote:I agree with Phil - 3 times I have downloaded and installed Java 1.6 from the Mac site. It goes through all the motions but at the end of it when you try to set a Java environment in OO preferences I cannot find a folder which AOO will recognise as a valid JRE environment...
Alan Dunn
The location for Java is /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
I have both 1.6.0.jdk and jdk1.8.0_101.jdk installed. I use 1.8.0_101 in AOO

I'd recommend getting the lastest version of Java from Oracle. Apache OpenOffice will work with it if the legacy Java 1.6 is also installed.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
phil.l

Post by phil.l »

When I try to add a JRE I click on Add then click through to /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

I then click okay and get the message saying the folder doesn't contain a JRE. Cant seem to find any folder of file that gets rid of this message. Any ideas on which folder or subfolder or file actually houses the JRE that it will accept?

I do now get Oracle Corporation 1.8 showing up in the Vendor list and I clicked it and restarted and re-installed OO but it still presents with the same issues as before so it hasnt solved it! Does it need to be 1.6 or will 1.8 do the same job?
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

phil.l wrote:When I try to add a JRE I click on Add then click through to /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
That is the location to look in Finder to find which Java versions are instlalled on your machine.
I then click okay and get the message saying the folder doesn't contain a JRE. Cant seem to find any folder of file that gets rid of this message. Any ideas on which folder or subfolder or file actually houses the JRE that it will accept?
The full path to enable it in AOO is /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_101.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
I do now get Oracle Corporation 1.8 showing up in the Vendor list and I clicked it and restarted and re-installed OO but it still presents with the same issues as before so it hasnt solved it! Does it need to be 1.6 or will 1.8 do the same job?
Did you click the circle to enable it? If you re-installed AOO you need to re-enable it.

AOO requires the legacy 1.6 installed in order for it to find 1.8. AOO works fine with 1.8

I looked through my Java 1.6 folder and didn't fine any runtime environment. Apple may have removed the JRE since there are severe security issues when using it in a browser.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Repco

Post by Repco »

Hi I am having the same problems as Patrick, have downloaded & installed both 1.6 & the latest 1.8 Java, I can open documents if I right click and select (the menu icons are fuzzy).
I have circled the java 1.8 in the AOO preferences (1.6 doesn't show up). Also the Library/ folder doesn't have a Java folder.

Pete :knock:
macOS Sierra Version 10.12 , iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 - OpenOffice 4.1.2
Repco

Post by Repco »

Having same issues with crashing AOO, opens if you right click a file but the menu is fussy, Installed both Java versions, clicked preferences Java 1.8 (1.6 doesn't show), latest iMac, when I go to the /Libaray folder there are no java files..

Help please

Pete
macOS Sierra Version 10.12 , iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 - OpenOffice 4.1.2
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Repco wrote:Having same issues with crashing AOO, opens if you right click a file but the menu is fussy, Installed both Java versions, clicked preferences Java 1.8 (1.6 doesn't show), latest iMac, when I go to the /Libaray folder there are no java files..

Help please

Pete
How did you install Java?

There are three libraries on Macs. The correct on is "/Library".
The others are "/User/<username>/Library" and /System/Library

If there aren't Java files in "/Library/Java" you haven't actually installed Java.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Patrick Bravard

lgusaas wrote:
AOO requires the legacy 1.6 installed in order for it to find 1.8. AOO works fine with 1.8

I looked through my Java 1.6 folder and didn't fine any runtime environment. Apple may have removed the JRE since there are severe security issues when using it in a browser.
Hi Larry,

What do we need to see in the /Library/Java?, a screen capture would be helpful

Thank you,

Patrick
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Patrick Bravard wrote:
lgusaas wrote:

Hi Larry,

What do we need to see in the /Library/Java?, a screen capture would be helpful

Thank you,

Patrick
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/ and more subfolders
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_101.jdk/Contents/ and more subfolders
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Repco

Post by Repco »

I definitely have the latest Java installed, there is a Java tab in the system preferences, it shows 1.8 installed plus the path /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java, when I use finder and go to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins only the flash player is there, like you say there must be another /Library, heaven knows how to get there, Apple isn't very user friendly..
Also when I have AOO open the preference tab shows the Java installed.
I also installed Java 1.6 (from the link in this blog) but I am not sure how I can acknowledge it is running or not.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Repco wrote:I definitely have the latest Java installed, there is a Java tab in the system preferences, it shows 1.8 installed plus the path /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java, when I use finder and go to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins only the flash player is there, like you say there must be another /Library, heaven knows how to get there, Apple isn't very user friendly..
Also when I have AOO open the preference tab shows the Java installed.
I also installed Java 1.6 (from the link in this blog) but I am not sure how I can acknowledge it is running or not.
You are looking in the wrong folder. Look in the Folder in Finder I previously mentioned, Library/Java
Both 1.8 and 1.6 should be listed under Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
esox_13

Post by esox_13 »

I have exacty the same issue. I have a folder /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMAchines, but it is empty, I have Java 1.8.0_102 installed. Java seems to be installed under /Library/Internet Plugins.
OSX Sierra Openoffice 4.1.2
esox_13

Post by esox_13 »

This path is empty, Java is installed under /L/Internet Plugins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin, and it is recognized at that location by OpenOffice.
OSX Sierra Openoffice 4.1.2
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

esox_13 wrote:I have exacty the same issue. I have a folder /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMAchines, but it is empty, I have Java 1.8.0_102 installed. Java seems to be installed under /Library/Internet Plugins.
Install the legacy Java 6 runtime environment.
Download it at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Engineer47

Post by Engineer47 »

Same problem here; Upgraded to Sierra 10.12 and AOO no longer opens from dashboard nor Applications folder. Does open from Recent Documents with ability to modify and save however. Removed AOO, ran installation for Java 1.6, checked to confirm file location as Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk, reinstalled AOO, no joy. Ability to open files from Recent Docs still maintained however. Checked for OO Preferences, Java and none showing. Tried to add but it reports no runtime environment in the 1.6.0.jdk folder.

Installed latest Java 1.8. Rebooted. AOO still not starting. Forced it to start through Docs (put a recent on desktop). Checked OO Applications/Java and Oracle 1.8 is showing the popup with the radio button highlighted. Still cannot start AOO from dashboard nor Apps folder.

Late 2015 27" Retina iMac build purchased Feb 2016. 3.2 GHz,
Open office 4.1 on mac OS Sierra
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Engineer47 wrote:Same problem here; Upgraded to Sierra 10.12 and AOO no longer opens from dashboard nor Applications folder. Does open from Recent Documents with ability to modify and save however. Removed AOO, ran installation for Java 1.6, checked to confirm file location as Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk, reinstalled AOO, no joy. Ability to open files from Recent Docs still maintained however. Checked for OO Preferences, Java and none showing. Tried to add but it reports no runtime environment in the 1.6.0.jdk folder.

Installed latest Java 1.8. Rebooted. AOO still not starting. Forced it to start through Docs (put a recent on desktop). Checked OO Applications/Java and Oracle 1.8 is showing the popup with the radio button highlighted. Still cannot start AOO from dashboard nor Apps folder.

Late 2015 27" Retina iMac build purchased Feb 2016. 3.2 GHz,
What error message do you get when trying to start it from the Application Folder?
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada