[Solved] OpenOffice crashes on Mac OS Sierra

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
aldisg

[Solved] OpenOffice crashes on Mac OS Sierra

Post by aldisg »

Openoffice crashes on MacOs Sierra.
Apple released it yesterday. Today I upgraded my Mac and openoffice no longer works.

Need an update.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4 Mac OSX Sierra
papuc5

Re: OpenOffice crashes on Mac OS Sierra

Post by papuc5 »

same here. It works though if I try to open a .doc file.
Openoffice 4.1.2 Macos Sierra
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

You need to install the legacy Java 6 runtime environment.
Download it at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Insightman

Post by Insightman »

I do have exactly the same problem.
An installation of the suggested "legacy Java 6 runtime environment" did not solve the problem.
Open Office 4.1.2 with MacOS 10.12
papuc5

Post by papuc5 »

There were no problems under El Capitan until I upgraded to Sierra. Would that remove Java?
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

papuc5 wrote:There were no problems under El Capitan until I upgraded to Sierra. Would that remove Java?
The update to macOS Ver.10.12 Sierra automatically removes the legacy version of Java. Newe versions of Java from Oracle aren't removed.
Apache OpenOffice requires the installation of the legacy version of Java.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Insightman wrote:I do have exactly the same problem.
An installation of the suggested "legacy Java 6 runtime environment" did not solve the problem.
AOO works for me after I reinstalled the legacy Java 6 RTE.
What error messages are you getting?
Check that Java 6 is actually installed. In Finder go to
Macintosh HD/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines and look for 1.6.0.jdk
If it is installed try opening an existing document in AOO.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
papuc5

Post by papuc5 »

Installed legacy Java from the link you gave. Now OO opens, but the user interface is scrambled (cannot provide a screenshot as the file is larger than 128K...)

Doc and xls files open, but it quits when trying to open ppt.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

papuc5 wrote:Installed legacy Java from the link you gave. Now OO opens, but the user interface is scrambled (cannot provide a screenshot as the file is larger than 128K...)

Doc and xls files open, but it quits when trying to open ppt.
ppt files open for me. I only have a few since I never save anything in Microsoft formats. Do odp files open? I don't use AOO to make presentations. I prefer Keynote.

Open you screenshot in Preview and reduce the size so you can post it (Tools/Adjust size). Interface is fine for me.

Resetting your user profile might help. See viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
dylan51

Post by dylan51 »

On my dock in Mac OS Sierra are two documents of Open Office fixed. It is possible to open them and in the next step to open a new document. The application itself crashes by opening it.
Open Office 4.1.2 on macOS Sierra
cafox513

Post by cafox513 »

AOO works for me after I reinstalled the legacy Java 6 RTE.
What error messages are you getting?
Check that Java 6 is actually installed. In Finder go to
Macintosh HD/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines and look for 1.6.0.jdk
If it is installed try opening an existing document in AOO.

Thanks for this. Now AOO not only loads, and allows me to edit, but will print out a page.

You saved my novel!
AOOo 4.0.1 on Mac Mavericks 10.9.2
ronsager

Post by ronsager »

Since upgrading to Mac OS Sierra, OpenOffice crashes when I attempt to select text(in an attempt to copy/paste). I've deleted the app and its accompanying files, and do have Java installed. Suggestions?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 Mac OS 10.12
nagiusano

Post by nagiusano »

Try reinstall AOO after installing Java 6 RE.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on macOS Sierra
ronsager

Post by ronsager »

With Java 6 RE installed, I reinstalled AOO. It no longer crashes when selecting text, it crashes during the registration process!
OpenOffice 4.1.2 Mac OS 10.12
alandunn

Post by alandunn »

I have tried the fixes - downloaded and confirmed install of Java. Downloaded and re-installed OO, behaviour is still just as reported. I can only open OO by opening an existing document and it crashes seemingly anytime I use the mouse.
Alan Dunn
OPen Office 4.1.2 running on Mac OS X
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

alandunn wrote:I have tried the fixes - downloaded and confirmed install of Java. Downloaded and re-installed OO, behaviour is still just as reported. I can only open OO by opening an existing document and it crashes seemingly anytime I use the mouse.
Alan Dunn
Reset your user profile. See viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426

Also, check in your user preferences to see if Java is enabled.
On menubar: OpenOffice/Preferences/OpenOffice/Java
Make sure "Use a Java Runtime Environment" is checked and there is a check mark beside a installed JRE.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
alandunn

Post by alandunn »

Thanks, I reset my user profile. I am sure that had an effect because I had to re-enter my registration details. But no change. I followed the path to preferences. "Use a Java Runtime Environment" is checked, but there is nothing listed under JRE Already Installed. I clicked 'Add' but then I have no idea where to find the java environment I re-installed earlier...
Alan Dunn
CMartin

Post by CMartin »

I upgraded my iMac from El Capitan to Sierra and found that the toolbar icons in OpenOffice word and OpenOffice spreadsheet documents were corrupted (see attached small screenshot)

I did some research on this forum and found that Java was required so I installed both the recommended legacy version and a new version and made sure the 'use Java runtime environment' was ticked but neither made any difference.

I then completely uninstalled OpenOffice and used a cleaning app to make sure all elements were correctly removed (including user preferences I think) then reinstalled a fresh download of OpenOffice directly from the AOO website.

When clicking on the OpenOffice seagull icon in Launchpad OpenOffice started and then immediately crashed with the message ‘OpenOffice quit unexpectedly’ and an error report (attached)

I tried lots of different ideas to try and solve this problem but to no avail.

I then for some reason tried to open an existing document from the documents menu and low and behold it opened up correctly albeit with the toolbar icons still corrupted.

So I have two problems;

OpenOffice won't open from the main OpenOffice launch icon and
When a document is opened (directly from documents folder) OpenOffice opens correctly but the toolbars icons are corrupted.

Incidentally I have AOO 3.3.0 installed on my wife’s MacBook Air which has also been upgraded too Sierra and has no problems running OpenOffice.

Can anyone help please?

Martin
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 22.49.10.png
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Mac 10.12
AOO412m3(Build:9782) - Rev. 1709696
2015-10-21 09:36:46 (Wed, 21 Oct 2015)
alandunn

Post by alandunn »

Further info, I still have the problem, but after three days I really believe it is caused by not having access to a Java Runtime Environment. On my iMac (upgraded to Sierra) in Open Office Preferences>Java 'use a java runtime environment' is checked but in the window there are no runtime environments listed. I also have a MacBook Air with OO installed which has not been updated. In the same Preferences>Java window a JRE environment is listed at /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home .

On my imac you can go to /System/Library/Java/ ... but then there is no /JavaVirtualMachines and so on.

I have now twice installed the legacy environment as suggested, where oh where would I find /JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home ? Obviously I have run a search and that has found nothing.

Alan Dunn
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

alandunn wrote: On my imac you can go to /System/Library/Java/ ... but then there is no /JavaVirtualMachines and so on.
Wrong library.
I have now twice installed the legacy environment as suggested, where oh where would I find /JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home ? Obviously I have run a search and that has found nothing.
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Patrick Bravard

Post by Patrick Bravard »

The same issue exactly as Alan Dunn, however I think it is machine dependant.

I have two computers, an iMac 27" late 2016 and a MacBook Pro 13" Late 2011...
I have updated both to Sierra 10.12.
Both machines run Open Office 4.1.2 with the JRE 1.8.0_101

Both computers operated without a glitch in Open Office under El Capitan... After upgrading to Sierra, the MacBook Pro continued to work properly, the iMac
is not doing the same. It first crashed. I re-intalled the legacy Java... Then the Open Office file opened but the menu icons are corrupted and the graphics in eluded in my spreadsheets are also corrupted... Whereas none of these problems exist on the MacBook Pro...

I had that the files are common to both computers since they are stored on Dropbox...

It is all very mysterious but I really think it has to do with the hardware difference between machines.
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have no Mac experience, but I suggest pulling screen resolution back to (say) 1280 x 1024, to test if high screen resolution is causing or contributing to the problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Patrick Bravard

Hi RoryOF,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried changing the resolution, but no cigar!
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
alandunn

Post by alandunn »

Thank you Igusaas, I followed your path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ and found /1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home ... and tried to add that as a path in the OO preferences>java window. I got 'The folder you selected does not contain a Java Runtime Environment'. Rats!

I then searched the Java website, which led me back to Apple Support about restoring a Java 6 environment here "https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202643" "Java for OS X 2014-001: How to re-enable the Apple-provided Java SE 6 web plug-in and Web Start features". That page contains some Terminal command line instructions which I have followed, still no change I am afraid.
Alan Dunn
jwfish

Post by jwfish »

I've been experiencing the same issue with LibreOffice. I've used the following approach until the issue is resolved with OO/Sierra:

I’m using LibreOffice 5.2.2.2

Go to

Finder | Applications | Libreoffice – right click and select Show Package Contents

Select Contents | MACOS | double click SOFFICE

This starts terminal and Libreoffice

File | Open | navigate to document and double click.

I’ve opened Writer. Spreadsheet, and Presentation/PPTs with this method.

All functionality of OO works.

Hope this helps others.

jwfish
LibreOffice 5.2.2.2 with MacOS 10.12
dylan51

Post by dylan51 »

Thank you, jwfish.
In part of the problem your post was useful. It works on my iMac the same way you represented.
Open Office 4.1.2 on macOS Sierra
jwfish

Post by jwfish »

This will at least allow us to continue working while AOO and LO develop a solution to the problem. Glad it worked for you.
LibreOffice 5.2.2.2 with MacOS 10.12
Patrick Bravard

This drawing is included in an Open Office spreadsheet 4.1.2 saved on Dropbox seen with my iMac 27'' Late 2015

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 11.07.29.png

This is the SAME drawing is included in an Open Office spreadsheet 4.1.2 saved on Dropbox seen through my MacBook Pro 13'' Late 2013

By the way the toolbar icons on all Open office applications on the iMac are corrupted on the iMac but not on the MacBook Pro.

Can anyone help to understand where the difference lies?

Patrick
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 11.08.55.png
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
musicchick581

Post by musicchick581 »

HI all,
I'm having the same issue. My mac updated today to Sierra and I can't open AOO except through preexisting docs. I installed the Java recommended here and even reinstalled AOO but it still won't open. Any more ideas?
Open Office 4.1 on MacOS 10.12
Patrick Bravard

Hello musicchick851,

What type of mac please?
Can you save documents?

Cheers
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12