[Solved] OpenOffice crashes on Mac OS Sierra

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
wolfiem

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice crashes on Mac OS Sierra

Post by wolfiem »

Tanx very much for clarification Larry!
So what IS the solution?
BTW: I am using a Late 2011 20.5" iMac with 16 GB RAM.
Display
▪ 21.5-inch (viewable) LED-backlit glossy widescreen TFT display with support for millions of colors
▪ Resolution: 1920 by 1080 pixels
Processor
▪ 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache
Graphics
▪ 2.5 GHz
▪ AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

I will be upgrading it to Sierra 10.12.2.
Followed by clean Install of the latest version of AOO? 4.1.3(?)
Do I then just do a recalibration of the Display Color Profile in Sys Prefs?
Tanx again;
David W (WolfieM)
Open Office 4.1.2 on MacOS 10.12.2
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

wolfiem wrote:Tanx very much for clarification Larry!
So what IS the solution?
What problem are you having?
Installation of the legacy Apple Java is a prerequisite, also, probably the latest version of Java 1.8 from Oracle.
BTW: I am using a Late 2011 20.5" iMac with 16 GB RAM.
I will be upgrading it to Sierra 10.12.2.
Followed by clean Install of the latest version of AOO? 4.1.3(?)
Do I then just do a recalibration of the Display Color Profile in Sys Prefs?
No. That problem was specific to new 5K iMacs. I think an update to a newer version of macOS Sierra corrected the problem.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
wolfiem

Post by wolfiem »

Tanx again Larry for clarification -
I am NOT "having a problem" -
I have yet to DO this upgrade to sierra - just trying to learn how to ensure smooth AOO functioning AFTER I do it.
As I said above: "I will be upgrading it to Sierra 10.12.2 - the latest version!
Followed by clean Install of the latest version of AOO? 4.1.3(?)"

The operative words are "will be

You say: “I think an update to a newer version of macOS Sierra corrected the problem.”
If that’s the case, then I should have NO problem!

Do I still have to do this?
"Installation of the legacy Apple Java is a prerequisite, also, probably the latest version of Java 1.8 from Oracle.”
Tanx
David
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

wolfiem wrote:Tanx again Larry for clarification -
I am NOT "having a problem" -
I have yet to DO this upgrade to sierra - just trying to learn how to ensure smooth AOO functioning AFTER I do it.
As I said above: "I will be upgrading it to Sierra 10.12.2 - the latest version!
Followed by clean Install of the latest version of AOO? 4.1.3(?)"

The operative words are "will be
And it is impossible to give an anwer if you are not having a problem.
You say: “I think an update to a newer version of macOS Sierra corrected the problem.”
If that’s the case, then I should have NO problem!
No. You do not have a new 5X retina imac. That is one of many problems discussed in this thread.
Do I still have to do this?
"Installation of the legacy Apple Java is a prerequisite, also, probably the latest version of Java 1.8 from Oracle.”
Yes. Look up "prerequisite" in the dictionary.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
wolfiem

Post by wolfiem »

Thank you once again Larry.
This time for a such an arrogant Smart A Answer!
I actually DO know the meaning of the word "Prerequisite" - surprise!
However, due the confusing back-n-forth postings (5 Pages worth), it was unclear what Applied to my outlined situation, and what did NOT.

FYI I am NOT a Forum Geek -
I have great difficulty in reading all this back-n-forth banter (5 Pages worth) and sifting all the wheat from the chaff, for what should be a pretty straight-forward answer - hard to tell most times what I need to know, as to whether AOO will work in OS X Sierra, or NOT -
And if if it Can/will, what I must do to ensure that it WILL work - and yes, perhaps THAT MIGHT mean you summarizing/separating the wheat from the chaff in presenting a cogent step-by-step summarizing process that will ensure that it W-O-R-K-S - putting a merciful end to an already needlessly long series of posts - all seeking this help).

From what I can tell, you are the man with the answers (the quality & certitude of your answers bespeak a man of immense intellect & experience -
if so, It MIGHT just take you 2, maybe -3 minutes to be civil to others who have less intellect & experience & provide such a step-by-step process -
It just MIGHT benefit ALL previous posters??
I assume that is the goal that the Administrators of AOO envisioned by creating This Support Forum?
In doing so, You might just be fulfilling your responsibility of Helping those who are not as intelligent or educated (in such matters only) as you (Yes, I plead 'guilty' to both possibilities), engendering good will towards you, instead of contempt for someone clearly more interested in an Igo Trip than truly helping others!

You have clearly "decided" that I am someone you need to Dismiss, as I have obviously not been able to successfully filter the wheat from da chef to come up with what you think are the correct answers. Shame on ME!

If you need my help integrating this procedure - let me know - I will attempt to summarize what you have taught me to this point , and let you critique/correct it - until we have the (useful) result - that you could have just done yourself? and be done with it!

Please advise your thoughts - & spare me your lectures - either help - or say nothing - PLEASE!!! :|
David
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

wolfiem wrote:Thank you once again Larry.
This time for a such an arrogant Smart A Answer!
You're welcome.
I actually DO know the meaning of the word "Prerequisite" - surprise!
Really???
However, due the confusing back-n-forth postings (5 Pages worth), it was unclear what Applied to my outlined situation, and what did NOT.
I clearly stated that the Apple legacy Java was a prerequisite, and probably Oracle's Java 8.
And that recalibration of the Display Color Profile in Sys Prefs was a problem was specific to new 5K iMacs which you do not have.

Until you have an actual problem there is nothing more to add. I already stated that, if you could comprehend, in my previous replies to you.

I also stated, in my first reply to you, that AOO works fine on both my MacBook Pros using macOS Sierra. I am tired of giving the same answer multiple times. So until you have an actual problem, sayonara.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
wolfiem

Post by wolfiem »

I can see the smart A Ego feeding continues. Get over it Larry!
I will proceed apace & let you know if I have a problem or not.

Until/if then - Sayonara to you too!
jaxhere

AOO Crashing on Mac OS Sierra

Post by jaxhere »

I've been going bonkers over not being able to get AOO and now Libre Office working on my system, an early 2011 13" MacBook Pro with the latest verion of Sierra installed. :crazy:

I've tried reinstalling,AOO, getting the older version of the JRE, trying to reset the color profile, etc ... in other words, I think I've done everything that I've seen mentioned in this thread (and possibly others) :crazy:

In spite of all this when I try to open and existing .xls file or simply start a new spreadsheet, I get the little spinning color wheel and the app simply does not respond for an extended period until I finally force it to close. I've had this problem with AOO and now LO.

As it was installed, the LO has JRE 1.8.0_112 installed and selected under the Advanced section of the Preferences. I've attempted to add the 1.6.0.jdk folder to the options and select it but the options won't allow me to select it and gives me a return message that the selected folder doesn't contain any runtime files.

I don't even know if this would solve my problem, but it was the only additions thing I could think of doing before seeking help.

So.... what can I do now? :knock:
LibreOffice 5.2.6002 with MacOS 10.12.3 on MacBook Pro 13 inch early 2011
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

jaxhere wrote:So.... what can I do now
Try a different account on your Mac. ← Read details. I realize your symptoms are different than what's in that post, but the solution might be the same.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
jaxhere

Post by jaxhere »

MrProgrammer wrote:Try a different account on your Mac.
I realize your symptoms are different than what's in that post, but the solution might be the same.
:( No go!
Any other ideas? Up til now the only way I can even access and work with xls, doc, and other similar type files is through using Google Docs, which is kind of clunky.
LibreOffice 5.2.6002 with MacOS 10.12.3 on MacBook Pro 13 inch early 2011
revher

Post by revher »

In order to have OpenOffice working on High Sierra, I had to delete my saved preferences which are in
/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice
In fact I deleted the directory and restarted OpenOffice. Yes, I have to enter again my name.

I got a crash asking me to load a very old Java 6... and now it is working.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on OSX high-sierra
MarjaE

Post by MarjaE »

*headdesk*

Both OO and LOO crash on opening, the first time, though LOO stays open on reopening.

Reinstalled Java 1.6 using this installer: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US Haven't reinstalled OO, but LOO refuses to accept the Java installation. If I try to navigate it to Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/i.6.0.jdk it does not find a Java runtime environment.

Don't have a retina display, so having one isn't the issue. Can't use default resolution, because system text would be too small and cause too much eye strain. Don't have Generic RGB Profile.

P.S. Reinstalled OO. Running normally, with or without JRE, though I need a way to stop the flashing. Reinstalled Java 1.8 and got JRE working in OO and LOO.
NeoOffice 2015.11 on MacOS 10.12
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

MarjaE wrote:*headdesk*

Both OO and LOO crash on opening, the first time, though LOO stays open on reopening.

Reinstalled Java 1.6 using this installer: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US Haven't reinstalled OO, but LOO refuses to accept the Java installation. If I try to navigate it to Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/i.6.0.jdk it does not find a Java runtime environment.

Don't have a retina display, so having one isn't the issue. Can't use default resolution, because system text would be too small and cause too much eye strain. Don't have Generic RGB Profile.

P.S. Reinstalled OO. Running normally, with or without JRE, though I need a way to stop the flashing. Reinstalled Java 1.8 and got JRE working in OO and LOO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 works with Java SE 9.0.4 without having the legacy Java 1.6 installed. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
indicative

Post by indicative »

Woo Hooo. Thanks for the update. I did not like the idea of having to install/use jdk 1.6.

It looks like Oracle have finally patched up the missing/wrong OS X config of the jvm/jdk in versions 1.7 and 1.8, as discussed, and fixed here too: https://unfinishedbitness.info/2015/03/ ... esolution/.

I missed the (install JDK 1.9) fix above, as it is so short.

It would be good to get this fix put into the install guide for OS X.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on OS X 10.13.3