[Solved] Problem sending pdf document in email

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
suzanne

[Solved] Problem sending pdf document in email

Post by suzanne »

When I attempt to send a pdf document via email, which is the only format that people are able to print, all that shows up is illegible code. Help! I need to send documents to my patients for them to print out and am unable to do so. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open office 4.0 on MacOS10.6.8
acknak

Re: Problem sending pdf document in email

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

What steps are you following to export the document and send it by email?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Thanks so much for your response. I'm at my wits end. The process I follow is: 1. I save the document as an odt file (which, by the way, cannot be opened if sent to anyone via email.) 2. Then i click the pdf option at the top of the page to create the document as a pdf file. (People are only able to open pdf files in an email attachment.) Instead of the normal text of the document showing up as a pdf, what appears is a lot of illegible code, the first line of which is %PDF-1.4. If I attempt to send that as an email attachment, what shows up in the email is the code, not the document I need to send.

What am I doing wrong? As I recall, I never used to have this problem sending documents as email attachments with the Open Office application. I even downloaded the newest OO version my operating system could accommodate, hoping that would solve the problem. Alas, it had no effect.

I hope you can help me, as I am an acupuncturist who needs to send statements and documents to my patients. Last week I was forced to go to Kinko's and retype an entire document on their computer in order to send it to a patient. Yikes! Looking forward to your instruction, and thanks again. Suzanne
acknak

Post by acknak »

suzanne wrote:... what appears is a lot of illegible code, the first line of which is %PDF-1.4.
Ok, this means that you're looking at a pdf file, so that much is on track.

It seems that you're looking at the data inside the pdf file instead of the normal, readable presentation of the file data.

When you do the export to pdf, and you get the file export dialog window, make sure that the "Automatic file name extension" option is ON, then OK.

That will make sure that the exported pdf file has the proper ".pdf" tacked on the end of the file name, so that the system knows how to display the pdf file.

You may want to try the shortcut: FIle > Send > Email as PDF ... but that does NOT work if you get your email through your web browser.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

I tried checking the box as you instructed and it didn't fix the problem. When I click the send as email option, a box opens entitled "ASCII filter options" opens. The character set says Western Europe (Apple Mac. When I hit the "ok" tab, the document switches to code. I tried resting it as a PDF making sure I check the Automatic file name option is on, click OK, and the document still shows up as code rather than text.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

The shortcut you recommended worked! Couldn't make the other method work, but as long as I can send the document, that's all that matters. You are a life saver and I appreciate your taking the time to help me! Have a great weekend.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I have no idea why you keep seeing the pdf code on the screen, or why you'd be getting the ascii filter window. That only happens when you try to open a file that is not recognized by OO. Although I have seen it if I try to open a pdf file in OO by mistake.

Oh well, glad you found some way to get it working.