[Solved] El Capitan upgrade destroyed menus

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
jmcolberg

[Solved] El Capitan upgrade destroyed menus

Post by jmcolberg »

Not sure this is the place to post it, but here goes. I made the foolish mistake of upgrading my OS X to "El Capitan" (10.11.5) the other day, and now OpenOffice has become unusable. The whole user interface is either slightly messed up or completely empty (text is missing, and whatever buttons there might be are blank) - I'm appending a screenshot to give you an idea what's going on (I tried LibreOffice, and I got the same problem). I *am* running the latest version of Java (installed and re-installed it various times), and I'm totally at a loss what to do now. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!
Attachments
OpenOfficeBug.gif
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.0 on MAC OS X "El Capitan" 10.11.5
Hagar Delest

Re: El Capitan upgrade destroyed menus

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

In most cases, you can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
If no change, check the Mac section where I've moved your post. There may be issues linked specifically to Mac.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

From memory there is a font problem on Mac when using Opentype fonts. There is another problem of missing menu fonts which can be cured by rebuilding the font cache on the Mac in question.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jmcolberg

Post by jmcolberg »

Thank you for the suggestions! Having crowdsourced the problem on Twitter as well, someone pointed me to

No text in OpenOffice dialogs on OS X 10.10

which solved most of the problems (except a tiny one right at the beginning as far as I can see).
OpenOffice 4.0 on MAC OS X "El Capitan" 10.11.5