Password files will not open and OO will not save with past

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
ATY

Password files will not open and OO will not save with past

Post by ATY »

I have been using 2 password protected files (spreadsheets) for almost 6 years without any problem and suddenly the software displays a message"the password is incorrect. File can not be opened". The password is correct 100%. I checked it with an Excell format of the file which I was able to open with "Numbers". Unfortunately OO format files can not be opened with Numbers, so I am really in big trouble. Whats more, OO refuses to save files with a message "Error saving the document. General error. General input/output error". HELP PLEASE I NEED THESE DATA
Open Office 3.1 on OS X El Capitan Ver 10.11.3
ATY

Re: Password files will not open and OO will not save with p

Post by ATY »

One additional thing. I have just opened an old Excell file with no problem and saved it with a password. It does not want to either open or save recent password files
Open Office 3.1 on OS X El Capitan Ver 10.11.3
Sea Mac

Re: Password files will not open and OO will not save with p

Post by Sea Mac »

ATY wrote:I have been using 2 password protected files (spreadsheets) for almost 6 years without any problem and suddenly the software displays a message"the password is incorrect. File can not be opened". The password is correct 100%. I checked it with an Excell format of the file which I was able to open with "Numbers". Unfortunately OO format files can not be opened with Numbers, so I am really in big trouble. Whats more, OO refuses to save files with a message "Error saving the document. General error. General input/output error". HELP PLEASE I NEED THESE DATA
I know of a SURE workaround for "The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened."
Simply switch to LibreOffice ... that's what I did ... problem solved: the password works again.
This problem has been in the OpenOffice codebase for over a DECADE - affecting ANY password protected file type - and the developers are powerless to find and fix it.
If you don't believe me - search the forum for

The password is incorrect

for yourself, and you'll see most of them conclude "LibreOffice Worked!!!"
This problem was why I switched to LibreOffice 4 years ago ... as I found no help here. They gave me the brush off also.