Saving Multiple Copies.

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
dougstocks

Saving Multiple Copies.

Post by dougstocks »

My Open Office has started saving all of my copies that I save rather than just the latest copy of a document. How do I set it to save only the most recent copy of any document?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Mac OS 10.6.8
acknak

Re: Saving Multiple Copies.

Post by acknak »

I've not encountered this. What are you seeing exactly--what leads you to say that extra copies are being saved? Are there new files?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I'm not sure what you mean by "copies". Copies are normally completely independent files. When you save an open file only that one file is saved. I'm not aware of any "Save All" option that would save all open files.

Have you possibly enabled File > Versions > Always save a version on closing?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Each copy should have a different name. Can you please list the names of the "multiple copies" of one file?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dstocks

Post by dstocks »

Let's see if I can include a screen shot: No, that did not work. Let me see if I can explain more clearly. For example, I keep my check book as a spreadsheet in Open Office. If I need to make an entry, then I open that .ods file, make the entry and then when finished 'Save" the file and finally close it. Then, if I we're to right click on Open Office, I would see a list of recently opened files and checkbook.ods would be at the bottom of the list. Prior to my present 'difficulty' I could open, modify, save & close checkbook.ods several times in succession (say 10) and if I were to then right click on OO, I would see only one entry at the bottom of the list called checkbook.ods. However now when I right click on OO the last 10 entries in the list are all 'checkbook.ods.'

No, I have not Checked Files > Versions > Always save a version on closing.
Last edited by dstocks on Thu May 05, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.0.1 on a Mac Mini OS X 10.10.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This sounds like a case for resetting the OO user profile.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dstocks

Post by dstocks »

How do I reset the User Profile and is this going to cause me to loose any of my various files?
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Resetting the user directory should not affect any of your saved files, unless you have manually, and intentionally, set your file path to match that of your user directory.
If you had done that, you would know, as it's something that has to be changed manually, and the user directory is (normally) hidden.
More information and directions here
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
dstocks

Post by dstocks »

I do not know how to rest either the "User Profile" or the "user directory."
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

dstocks wrote:Then, if I we're to right click on Open Office, I would see a list of recently opened files and checkbook.ods would be at the bottom of the list. Prior to my present 'difficulty' I could open, modify, save & close checkbook.ods several times in succession (say 10) and if I were to then right click on OO, I would see only one entry at the bottom of the list called checkbook.ods. However now when I right click on OO the last 10 entries in the list are all 'checkbook.ods.'
Are you seeing these duplicate entries when you right-click an icon that starts OpenOffice? AOO maintains its own list of recent documents. Resetting the user profile should clear the recent documents list in AOO, but I don't think it would fix problems with the list on the icon. That list should be maintained by the operating system.
dstocks

Post by dstocks »

It is the little round blue icon that contains what could be construed as two white gulls. If I put my cursor over it, it reads 'OpenOffice.'
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Sorry, I don't know how it's supposed to work on a Mac. Maybe a Mac user can help.
dstocks

Post by dstocks »

Speaking of Mac, I guess I entered 10.10.5 out of long time habit. I have recently upgraded to 10.11.4 and I would not be surprised to learn that is the culprit; it certainly fouled up a host of other things; all now fixed - so I have forgotten exactly what all it did.