[Solved] Can't install OpenOffice

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
pmc25

[Solved] Can't install OpenOffice

Post by pmc25 »

I had a problem with open office: when I opened it I got a message saying that it had not closed down properly. I could write new documents bur the message blocked part of the screen and I could not edit documents. I therefore uninstalled open office and attempted to reinstall it. I t appears to download but no screen appears allowing me to choose an application.
Existing documents open but I cannot produce any new ones! I am using OS X yosemite and have unlocked "allow apps from anywhere
How can I get Open Office Word back please:?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
open office 4.12 OS X Yosemite
MrProgrammer

Re: Cant install Open Office

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
pmc25 wrote:How can I get Open Office Word back please:?
I'm assuming you mean Open Office's text document component, called Writer. If you want Microsnot Word, that's a different company and different software so we can't help you in this forum.
pmc25 wrote:I had a problem with open office: when I opened it I got a message saying that it had not closed down properly.
Please provide the exact text of the message instead of making us guess. Was it The last time you opened OpenOffice, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again? There are more than 100 topics on the forum about that which you could have found with a search instead of waiting for a reply.
pmc25 wrote:I could write new documents bur the message blocked part of the screen and I could not edit documents.
I have never heard of this. You'll need to supply more details. Are you sure you have an authentic copy of Open Office?
pmc25 wrote:It appears to download but no screen appears allowing me to choose an application.
Download only from http://openoffice.org/download/. You will not get a screen allowing you to choose an application. When the download finishes, look for it in your Downloads directory or wherever else you instructed the web browser to put it. Open the downloaded file with Finder (or Safari); it will be something ending in ".dmg" — my last download was OOo_3.2.0_MacOSXIntel_install_en-US.dmg. Copy OpenOffice.org.app from the contents inside the download to your /Applications directory.

Also see OpenOffice 4.1.2 freezes on Mac where you can find the full instructions for installing on Mac OS X and also the release notes. You are expected to read the installation instructions and the release notes. There's important information there. For example, you'll learn what to do if you need Java, though many parts of Open Office do not use Java.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
pmc25

Re: Cant install Open Office

Post by pmc25 »

Thank you for all the help!
I moved all previous downloads to trash, double-checked that I was downloading from the correct site and BINGO! Iam now reconnected!
open office 4.12 OS X Yosemite
unimpressed

Re: [Solved] Can't install OpenOffice

Post by unimpressed »

I'm surprised that having invented the programme they haven't invented an un- installation programme that actually functions properly. Shame really I've used it for years.
But like windscreen wipers they only go wrong when you need them most>
Open Office 4.1.2 on windows 10