"Crashing Unexpectedly" and "Need to recover files".

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
auntkalei

"Crashing Unexpectedly" and "Need to recover files".

Post by auntkalei »

I just downloaded Open Office at the recommendation of a friend who had installed a new hardrive in my MacbookPro. I used it for awhile then it quit. When I tried to reopen it, it goes to a page telling my my document needs to be recovered. When I click to recover, it quits again. I have reinstalled it and tried the fix suggested on one forum where you delete org.openoffice.script.Savedstate. But, it isn't working. I am so frustrated...about ready to go back and buy Microsoft Office. Besides not being able to use the program, I lost my document which was a report, and had to retype it.

I have ElCapitan for my OS.
Open Office 4.1.2
El Capitan 10.11.3
nehopsa

Re: "Crashing Unexpectedly" and "Need to recover files".

Post by nehopsa »

This is not going to help anybody. 4.1.5 crashes on me with absolute regularity. I would loose about half an hour's work each time. I kept saving while working. Usually, the crash follows right after ctrl. S is entered - not helpful at all. It happened this time once again but also I managed to save the file on closing the OO document. EXTREMELY BAD MOVE. I had just "saved" the already brain damaged copy after the crush - not knowing what I was doing. For a few second I felt heroic since it appeared I managed to save the whole document, including my most recent work. But then, after shutting and re-opening OO it asked me to recover. I recovered to the brain damaged document from after the crash. It was absolutely blank.

I lost my whole last week's work. It never before played on me the trick just described and I felt safe I will recover something - at worst going back to the version with which I started the day.

Since I with my own hand murdered the document with data any attempt to find it in temp in "user profile" was futile. For the first time on trying to open there was a strange document with the name I was working on but I was not able to open it and now it is gone for ever.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 7