[Solved] OpenOffice removed from 'Open With' menu

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
ekaruna42

[Solved] OpenOffice removed from 'Open With' menu

Post by ekaruna42 »

I run OpenOffice 4.1.2 in OSX El Capitan.

I do a lot of work in TeXShop with .tex files and up until recently, OpenOffice was one of the programs in the 'open with' menu for .tex files. A couple days ago it disappeared. As far as I'm aware there haven't been any updates of either El Capitan or OpenOffice recently to cause this. I can still select 'other' and go and pick OpenOffice from a list of all the applications, but this is tedious to have to do every time. I DON'T want to change the default application (TeXShop), as I still use that most of the time, but I use OpenOffice to get a word count (this is something I need for work) and it's just so much simpler to have it as an option in my 'open with' menu.

I contacted Apple and they tried a few things (boot in safe mode, changing OpenOffice to the default program, then changing back) but nothing helped. It would appear that OpenOffice is no longer recognised as a viable option/text editor (can this be a file association thing?) The programs which DO show up as options are a couple LaTeX-related ones, TextEdit and Ulysses.
The only general fixes I found online were for older version of OSX, and also rather complicated.

Does anyone know any way to get OpenOffice back in the 'open with' menu?
Last edited by ekaruna42 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2
OSX El Capitan
MrProgrammer

Re: OpenOffice removed from 'Open With' menu

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
ekaruna42 wrote:Does anyone know any way to get OpenOffice back in the 'open with' menu?
Please search first before posting. Mac new open with menu

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... -with-menu

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
ekaruna42

Re: OpenOffice removed from 'Open With' menu

Post by ekaruna42 »

Thanks. I did do a few searches first but didn't manage to find anything that worked for El Capitan. With a bit of fiddling from that link it seems to be working now, so thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.2
OSX El Capitan