[Solved-Workaround] JRE not found on Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
fandesheba

[Solved-Workaround] JRE not found on Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2

Post by fandesheba »

Hi all,

For my thesis work, I am currently working on Apache Open Office 4.1.2 on my Mac (OS X Yosemite 10.10.5). I installed Zotero and the Zotero Libre Office plugin 3.5.11. Consequently, when I open Open Office, I have now a Zotero toolbar which appears on the left, but it doesn't answer by clicking on it. I had a look on several forums in french and english and look at the FAQ about troubleshooting problems on Zotero.org and so on but couldn't find the answer. I have Java 8 version for Mac and when I want to make sure that the corresponding JRE (Java RUntime) is selected in the Open Office preferences, it fails to find the JRE.
I know that several JRE issues were already discussed here on forum, but could not find my answer. Thank you for your help!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache Open Office 4.1.2 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
RoryOF

Re: JRE not found on Apache Open Office 4.1.2

Post by RoryOF »

There is a problem on OO 4.1.2 running on a Mac, which affects database access and mailmerge. The advice from Mac Users is to revert to OO 4.1.1. You may be seeing an aspect of this problem. Bear in mind that I am not a Mac user, but reverting to 4.1.1 should not cause any problems.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
charlie.it
Volunteer

Post by charlie.it »

I am a Mac user and I confirm what RoryOF says.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
ksale

Post by ksale »

Not matter what version I have installed, it keeps saying that I need to install JDK. I don't know what else I need to install. Please help, I need to create a database ASAP.
Open Office 4.1.1 installed on OS X El Capital 10.11.4
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

See the "Known Issues" section of the release notes. A workaround is suggested, but I don't use a Mac and can't confirm if the workaround will solve the problem.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 released
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
uknobloch

Post by uknobloch »

Hi Bill,
but even if it is a known issue it is the question how to solve it.
I have also tried installing different JRE & JDKs on the Library path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines and I am able to add them with Aoo Preferences->Java. Never the lest is no working and I do not know how. Libra Office is Working but the extension Manager breaks down every time.

With this I am in real trouble. At the moment I work on an old Mac with Ooo3.xx waiting that the current system with 4.1.2 gets an dugg-fix. If you or someone else know how to solve it please give an advice. Many thanks in advance!

Regards
Uli
OpenOffice 4.1.2 / MacOSX 10.11.5
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

uknobloch wrote:Hi Bill,
but even if it is a known issue it is the question how to solve it.
I have also tried installing different JRE & JDKs on the Library path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines and I am able to add them with Aoo Preferences->Java. Never the lest is no working and I do not know how.
There is a bug in AOO 4.1.2 — it won't access Jave. Install AOO 4.1.1, the database will work.

You need to install the legacy Mac version of Java in order for AOO to recognize the newer versions (this was mentioned in the known issues). See https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
uknobloch

Post by uknobloch »

Hi Larry,

you are great, many thanks it works!! :-)

Greetings
Uli
OpenOffice 4.1.2 / MacOSX 10.11.5
tomlebo

Re: [Solved-Workaround] JRE not found on Apache OpenOffice 4

Post by tomlebo »

I'm having similar issues getting AOO to recognize Java (in my case I'm trying to do some work in Base).

On Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) I have installed AOO 4.1.1 and Legacy Java 6 runtime from Apple (https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US).

When I open AOO Preferences > OpenOffice > Java, "Java runtime environments (JRE) already installed:" box is empty.

Can anyone help me out?
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)