Word 2013 conversion to OpenOffice

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Lister123

Word 2013 conversion to OpenOffice

Post by Lister123 »

I am trying to covert a document done in Word 2013 to Open Office but the formatting is all messed up. There are graphic logos that get misplaced.
I am currently using Open Office 4.1.2. Is there a converter for these versions of Word and Open Office?
Open Office v4.1.2.
Mac OS 10.11.3
RusselB

Re: Word 2013 conversion to Open Office

Post by RusselB »

Formatting is one of the most common problems when going between Word and Open Office.
If the Word document wasn't saved in Open Document Format, which Word 2013 is capable of, then, if possible, save it in that format. It should, then, be compatible with Open Office.
If you can't do that, then you can try LibreOffice, which, to my understanding, is more compatible with the Microsoft formats than Open Office.
Finally, if that doesn't work (or you don't want to try it), I think your last option is to go through the document as opened in Open Office and make the required adjustments.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You could try the free online conversion service offered by http://www.zamzar.com

Final formatting should always be carried out on one computer, using one platform. If you are switching between platforms such as MS Word and Writer it is best to concentrate on mere addition of the content and postpone formatting until the work is complete and stable on one or other platform.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

RusselB wrote:If you can't do that, then you can try LibreOffice, which, to my understanding, is more compatible with the Microsoft formats than Open Office.
Trying LibreOffice is a good idea but don’t expect a miracle. Generally, LibreOffice does not demonstrate explicitly better compatibility in importing files from M$O as compared to Apache OpenOffice. Moreover, in my experience graphic objects (in DOCX files) are sometimes misshapen in LO while looking fine in AOO. If you need to save to DOCX (and other M$O 2007-onwards formats), then LO is, of course, the only option.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)