Cannot delete .DS_Store file

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
gullett

Cannot delete .DS_Store file

Post by gullett »

I cannot delete this file. I put it in the trash and it pops back to the desktop. I found it there after having some difficulties downloading French and German dictionaries after upgrading to 4.1.2. (Finally gave up on the dictionaries- not clear how to d/l and install them.)

Based on Google, I've tried going into terminal and lsof etc to no avail. Had to force quit AOO to get it trashed and D/L a new copy. Logged out of El Cap and logged back in; all, no help.

Anyone solved this one yet ?

Thanks

John
JH Gullett
Open Office for Mac 4.1.2
Mac El Capitan
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: cannot delete .DS_Store file

Post by lgusaas »

gullett wrote:I cannot delete this file. I put it in the trash and it pops back to the desktop. I found it there after having some difficulties downloading French and German dictionaries after upgrading to 4.1.2. (Finally gave up on the dictionaries- not clear how to d/l and install them.)

Based on Google, I've tried going into terminal and lsof etc to no avail. Had to force quit AOO to get it trashed and D/L a new copy. Logged out of El Cap and logged back in; all, no help.

Anyone solved this one yet ?

Thanks

John
Nothing to be solved. It is normally a hidden file. Obviously you have enabled hidden files on your Mac. Do not delete any hidden files unless you are positive about what you are doing.

All folders have a .DS_Store file. The one on your desktop has nothing to do with Apache OpenOffice.

".DS_Store is the name of a file in the Apple OS X operating system for storing custom attributes of a folder such as the position of icons or the choice of a background image.[1] The name is an abbreviation of Desktop Services Store,[2] reflecting its purpose. It is created and maintained by the Finder application in every folder, and has functions similar to the file desktop.ini in Microsoft Windows. Starting with a full stop (period) character, it is hidden in Finder and many Unix utilities. Its internal structure is proprietary." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
gullett

Post by gullett »

Larry
Thank you ! This is partly enlightening. I've no idea how I could have revealed a hidden file and the mac help menus are not helpful.
I'll check with AppleCare.
John
JH Gullett
Open Office for Mac 4.1.2
Mac El Capitan
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

gullett wrote:Larry
Thank you ! This is partly enlightening. I've no idea how I could have revealed a hidden file and the mac help menus are not helpful.
I'll check with AppleCare.
John
You did it when you used Terminal.

see this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61264&hilit=+lock#p271286
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura