Point tool not working from get go

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
wetgeezer

Point tool not working from get go

Post by wetgeezer »

I've been looking for a new drawing program since my new miniMac (El Capitan 10.11.2) will have nothing to do with my well used if prehistoric version of Illustrator. OODraw looked good, downloaded it, read couple manuals on simple stuff, set my hand to it. No trouble doing rectangles and ellipses and altering them by the blue and red points. Used Select to move figures a bit and hit the points button. No Bezier points tool bar appeared, Select stayed lit, no blue points on objects. Any other button pushed just before Points was hit stayed on. Could get Select to go off if took object to red points, but Points still didn't do nothing. OK, so maybe I got a bum copy. Trashed the first download, downloaded again. Same thing. OK, third is supposed to be the charm, but the third was same old same old. Is there a "gift" I could give someone, a magic incantation required, a sacrifice demanded by the gods? I really would like to get a version of Draw that worked.
Mac OS X 10.11.2
OpenOffice 4.1.2
MrProgrammer

Re: Point tool not working from get go

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
wetgeezer wrote:I really would like to get a version of Draw that worked.
If you decide you want to use Draw, be sure to download only from http://openoffice.org/download or from http://libreoffice.org. Draw may be working just fine. However it might not meet your expectations. You can verify that you have a good Open Office download before you install it.

wetgeezer wrote:I've been looking for a new drawing program since my new miniMac (El Capitan 10.11.2) will have nothing to do with my well used if prehistoric version of Illustrator.
Draw may or may not be a good fit for your requirements. You should look at Comparison of vector graphics editors or Comparison of raster graphics editors, and consider those with Mac OS X support. Inkscape or GIMP may be what you need. Some are free; some need to be purchased or rented. Some of the free software is very good, but keep in mind that the revenue for the others allows their them to pay for development teams to implement new features. If you will use the software professionally, it may be to your advantage to pay to get what works best for you.

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
wetgeezer

Re: Point tool not working from get go

Post by wetgeezer »

Thanks for all the info. Did in fact download from Open Office.org. Will try the verification you suggest. Also playing with Inkscape. Will see how things go. Thanks again.
Mac OS X 10.11.2
OpenOffice 4.1.2