[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.2 freezes on Mac

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
pkarovsky

[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.2 freezes on Mac

Post by pkarovsky »

When I try to run OpenOffice for the first time, I get a dialog box that says it is verifying OpenOffice. There is no progress shown in the box and no screen comes up. Eventually I have to Force Quit
I have a Mac running OS 10.10.5
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.2 with MacOS 10.10.5
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.2 freezes on Mac

Post by RoryOF »

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55755
This is a common problem on a Mac.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
pkarovsky wrote:I get a dialog box that says it is verifying OpenOffice
You should have posted the exact text of the message, or a picture of it. Otherwise you may receive inappropriate advice.

Did you download from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html? That is the only official site. Other downloads suggested by Google or other search engines may be packaged with malware. From the official site, you'll be directed to SourceForge for the download. It will start automatically without the need to click anything on the SourceForge page. Clicking there may download other software that you don't need. Other software from SourceForge is probably fine, just not what you want if the goal is to use OpenOffice.

Did you install Open Office? Or did you just download it? You have to install it after downloading. Also read the Release Notes, especially in the "Known Issues" section where Mac OS X is mentioned twice. If you're having trouble opening the download, verify that you have a good download, or just move it to the trash and download again from the official site.

If you're planning to use Base, there is a confirmed defect in 4.1.2.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
pkarovsky

Post by pkarovsky »

Thank you. Turned out the problem was in the "Security and Ptivacy" folder. When I clicked Allow Apps Downloaded from Anywhere the download went smoothly. I notice how much quicker this version is. GREAT :D
OpenOffice 4.1.2 with MacOS 10.10.5