Check for update of OpenOffice 3 Alpha/Beta

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua

Check for update of OpenOffice 3 Alpha/Beta

Postby heffeque » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:04 pm

I've been using 3.0 alphas and betas for some time and they've been all giving me problems when I've tried updating from the program itself. I've just updated to beta 2 not so long ago and the problems persist. Some times it does work, but others it just crashes :-/
Last edited by heffeque on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
heffeque

Re: Check for update of OpenOffice 3 Alpha/Beta

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:12 pm

I've split the topic because your problem is related to the Alphas and Betas whereas the initial problem was about a stable version.

As long as a version is not stable, I don't think we can use that feature (even if it would be in such cases that it's the most useful, I agree). I've tried to upgrade the Beta 1 to Beta 2 on my xubuntu box and it gave me problems, I had to completely remove the version before installing the new version, including complete removal of the user profile!

You should try to uninstall completely the Beta to be sure there is no older configuration file left and rename the OOo user profile also.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby heffeque » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:00 pm

Darn... I knew I had forgotten something. I just deleted the OooDev.app file (or something like that, don't remember the name exactly) and put the OpenOffice.org.app in the Apps folder instead.
Could this give me any problems? If it does... how come there isn't an uninstaller that gives you the option of deleting profiles? The hole meaning of MacOS X is to make things easy, not to make users search for folders and deleting them by hand... :| If this feature isn't going to be included in the final version, I guess it would be a good addition for the next revision of ooo 3.x, right?
heffeque

Postby lgusaas » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:36 pm

heffeque wrote:Darn... I knew I had forgotten something. I just deleted the OooDev.app file (or something like that, don't remember the name exactly) and put the OpenOffice.org.app in the Apps folder instead.
Could this give me any problems? If it does... how come there isn't an uninstaller that gives you the option of deleting profiles? The hole meaning of MacOS X is to make things easy, not to make users search for folders and deleting them by hand... :| If this feature isn't going to be included in the final version, I guess it would be a good addition for the next revision of ooo 3.x, right?

OpenOffice.org.app will create its own profile.It won't use the profile you have from OooDev.app. The user profile is located in
"/Users/username/Library/Application Support". Most Mac programs have files in this location, also under Preferences.

In order to delete all files associated with a program, you could use the program "AppCleaner" http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 — MacBook Pro(Retina)—macOS Ver.10.15.3 Catalina
lgusaas
Volunteer

Postby heffeque » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Thanks for the info. Has anyone else been able to reproduce the error too? It happens less with the Beta 2, but it still has happened a couple of time when I've checked it out. It happens more often when checking for update in the Preferences place instead of in the Help place.
heffeque

Return to Mac OSX