Crashes after about 15 min

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
morgansmomster

Crashes after about 15 min

Post by morgansmomster »

I don't know if this is a mac issue perse' but it seemed to start happening after I upgraded to OS X El Capitan.

NEVER had this issue before, and I have reloaded open office 3X now but same issue.

I will be working on a document and then randomly I will get the spinning wheel of death where I then have to command/esc and force quit and subsequently loose everything. I now save about every 30 seconds to save my work, but it sure is getting old. It SEEMS to happen when I am editing - selecting/deleting words. I am writing within a table if that makes any difference. However in the past 2 weeks (seemingly since upgrading) I have never been able to work longer than 30 min without this happening - and usually closer to 5-10 min. ANY help would be great!

~Michelle
Apache Open Office 4.1.1 MAC
acknak

Re: Crashes after about 15 min

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

The only thing that comes to mind is to try turning off the online update check: Tools > Options > OO > Online update > Check automatically: OFF

For Options on Mac, see OO/Mac Preferences

If that doesn't help, the fallback approach anytime OO suddenly starts acting strange is to get a fresh OO settings profile. This just means exiting OO, renaming (or removing) the folder where OO stores all its settings, then restarting OO--it will then create a new settings profile folder.

For details, see: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
SoCal Mark

Post by SoCal Mark »

Michelle,

May I ask a couple of questions about your configuration?

1. Do you have any external HDD (Hard Disk Drives) attached by means of Thunderbolt or USB?
2. Do you have a third-party anti-virus program installed?

Take care,

Mark
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Mac OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan). Java 8 Update 66.
morgansmomster

Post by morgansmomster »

No I don't have either 1 or 2 Mark. (sigh) Thanks for the response though and trying to help. I actually also tried the aforementioned earlier post fixes, and that didn't work. I then AGAIN erased everything and tried installing the OO earlier version wondering if maybe that would work better.. but alas - it has shut down on me no less than 5 times just this morning. So frustrated.
Apache Open Office 4.1.1 MAC
SoCal Mark

Post by SoCal Mark »

The challenge is, it could be just about anything. An experiment you could try if you have either software is to see if you get the same problem in Pages or M$ Word.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Mac OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan). Java 8 Update 66.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

morgansmomster wrote:No I don't have either 1 or 2 Mark. (sigh) Thanks for the response though and trying to help. I actually also tried the aforementioned earlier post fixes, and that didn't work. I then AGAIN erased everything and tried installing the OO earlier version wondering if maybe that would work better.. but alas - it has shut down on me no less than 5 times just this morning. So frustrated.
Did you delete your user profile?
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura