Can't open .pptx file?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
krool

Can't open .pptx file?

Post by krool »

I tried re-downloading Open Office but still, the file won't open. When I try to open it, OO prompts me to "choose a filter" and I've tried several (Presentation, Microsoft Powerpoint, Drawing, etc.) but it keeps giving an error of unknown file type. I was under the impression that you can open .pptx files in the "Presentation" program on OO. Is this incorrect?

I really need to figure out a way to open these files, as it's for an online class. If anyone has any tips or needs me to give more info, I can do that. Thanks!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / Mac OS X 10.10.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Can't open .pptx file?

Post by Zizi64 »

Do you can open other type of MS format documents (doc, docx, xls, xlsx...)?

If the answer is yes, then that .pptx file is probably damaged. Or it is not a .pptx file really, only the file extension is '.pptx'.
Can you upload or link that file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
krool

Post by krool »

I have a couple .docx files that I can open just fine.

I tried opening the file on my girlfriend's laptop (Windows 7, OO 4.1.0) and it could open it just fine. OO opened it in Presentation/Impress (they're the same thing, right?)

I'll try re-downloading the file to make sure it wasn't corrupted during the first download. If it still doesn't work I'll see if I can upload it here somehow.

EDIT: That must have been the case, as I was able to open the re-downloaded copy. Not sure why I didn't try that before. Thanks for your suggestion!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

krool wrote: OO opened it in Presentation/Impress (they're the same thing, right?)
Being picky: Impress/Powerpoint are not the same thing. They perform a similar function, but Impress is not a clone of PowerPoint (and contrariwise), so the interchangeability of presentations between them can be limited. The same goes for other components of OpenOffice and MS Office.

Impress is the specific name for the presentation application in OpenOffice
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for clarification - brain not yet in gear at time of posting.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
krool

Post by krool »

Right, but "OpenOffice Presentation" and "OpenOffice Impress" are those the same thing?

Also, you mentioned that opening a MS powerpoint file in OO can have some limitations. I've opened the MS file, but there is allegedly supposed to be audio that comes with it. I can't figure out how to get it to play. Is it possible this is one of those limitations? Or is there something I'm missing?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sorry - Presentation and Impress are the same thing - I'm posting too early in the morning - my brain is not in gear: I should have written Powerpoint not Presentation.

Audio playing is possibly one of the limitations - I never use external presentations, so all my audio experience is with OpenOffice presentations, authored on OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
krool

Post by krool »

Hah, no worries!

Alright. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me too much. The clip art was all over the place on the slides, so for the audio to break wouldn't be that odd. I suppose I'll email my professor and see if I can get the audio files separately. Thanks for your help!