[Solved] Exit full screen in Yosemite = black screen

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
mbide

[Solved] Exit full screen in Yosemite = black screen

Post by mbide »

Running OO 4.1.1 on OSX 10.10.1 (yosemite)
(Yes I did try to search this issue before posting)

The green button to expand the window now goes to full screen (with no dock and no menu bar unless the cursor hovers over them). It didn't before. And I can't figure out how get back to non-full screen.
Once in this situation then using the menu bar [view...full screen] produces the full screen icon
But clicking on that icon (or hitting esc) to get out of full screen produces a black screen with the only remedy (apparently) to quit open office.

All help appreciated
Open Office 4.1.1 on OSX 10.10.1 (Yosemite)
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: Getting out of full screen in Yosemite = black screen

Post by lgusaas »

I just tested this and get the same result. File a bug report. See:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=13490
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
cahomer

Post by cahomer »

Same issue here. Will file bug report.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on OS X Yosemite
mbide

Post by mbide »

Thanks! I looked at how to file bug reports and it looked daunting.
Open Office 4.1.1 on OSX 10.10.1 (Yosemite)
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Let's go through these steps:
mbide wrote:The green button to expand the window now goes to full screen (with no dock and no menu bar unless the cursor hovers over them.
That green button enables MacOS full-screen mode. This is a feature from Apple. Ask Apple if you need help with MacOS.
mbide wrote: It didn't before. And I can't figure out how get back to non-full screen.
Apple changes MacOS from time to time. Consult Apple's documentation when you install a new release of MacOS to learn about new or changed features.
mbide wrote:Once in this situation then using the menu bar [view...full screen] produces the full screen icon.
Now you've also enabled the OpenOffice full-screen mode. So now you're in both MacOS full-screen and OpenOffice full-screen.
mbide wrote:But clicking on that icon (or hitting esc) to get out of full screen produces a black screen …
Clicking the OpenOffice full-screen button takes you out of OpenOffice full-screen mode. But you're still in MacOS full-screen mode and so OpenOffice is probably confused since it was developed before MacOS full-screen mode existed and OpenOffice isn't expecting to still be in full-screen mode after you exit OpenOffice full-screen using the button.
mbide wrote:… with the only remedy (apparently) to quit open office.
To return the situation (black screen) to normal without using OpenOffice → Quit, exit MacOS full-screen mode by moving the cursor to the top of the screen so the menu bar appears and then click the green button in the upper left corner again.

Lesson: Use either OpenOffice full-screen mode or MacOS full-screen mode. Don't attempt to use both of them. If an application supports its own full-screen mode, as OpenOffice does, I would normally use that instead of MacOS full-screen mode, so I would use View → Full Screen, not the green button.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).