[Solved] Java 8 Update!

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
SHOGUN GO

[Solved] Java 8 Update!

Post by SHOGUN GO »

I just reinstalled the newest version of OpenOffice today. Unfortunately, I can not use the Database app. It continues to give me the same error message regarding Java Runtime Environment: To open "office" you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime. Click "more info..." to visit the legacy Java SE 6 download website.... When I click more info... it does not bring me to the legacy site. So, I download the newest version of Java Runtime (version 8) and now OpenOffice "quits unexpectedly" every time i try to start a new database. Can someone replicate and tell me why this is occurring?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS X 10.10 Yosemite
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: Java 8 Update!

Post by lgusaas »

Apache OpenOffice works with Java 8, but you also need to have Java 6 installed.
To download it go to http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
SHOGUN GO

Re: Java 8 Update!

Post by SHOGUN GO »

THANK YOU, Igusaas, that fixed it right away! Took a while to find a working link to the Java 6 RTE Download but once I got that installed everything works like a charm!! Thanks again!!!
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS X 10.10 Yosemite
lbrobeck

Re: [Solved] Java 8 Update!---with Quartz 2.7.7

Post by lbrobeck »

OKAY! for those of you on OS X Yosemite like me: the latest update from Oct. 2014 does NOT come with the X11 installed!! it's there in the Applications...but not installed and running. It's for open office software such as this AOO. BUT, when you go into it as follows: Applications/Utilites/X11, you will get prompt to visit Apple's site for latest version which is XQUARTZ 2.7.7. Do it. Then restart your computer and you should be able to open AOO Database easily without that JRE 6...which for me, when i opened the AOO preferences...Jre 6 was enabled only in AOO but not allowed because of my OS X X11 needed updating. easy fix. Hope this helps anyone else!! :super: :bravo:
openoffice 4.1.1 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Java 8 Update!---with Quartz 2.7.7

Post by lgusaas »

lbrobeck wrote:OKAY! for those of you on OS X Yosemite like me: the latest update from Oct. 2014 does NOT come with the X11 installed!! it's there in the Applications...but not installed and running. It's for open office software such as this AOO. BUT, when you go into it as follows: Applications/Utilites/X11, you will get prompt to visit Apple's site for latest version which is XQUARTZ 2.7.7. Do it. Then restart your computer and you should be able to open AOO Database easily without that JRE 6...which for me, when i opened the AOO preferences...Jre 6 was enabled only in AOO but not allowed because of my OS X X11 needed updating. easy fix. Hope this helps anyone else!! :super: :bravo:
Makes no sense. X11 and JRE 6 are two separate applications. AOO doe not use X11.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
indicative

Re: [Solved] Java 8 Update!

Post by indicative »

Woo hooo. It *is* possible to run an up-to-date version of Java with OO.

I have been trawling around looking for answers, as it seemed to be just plain wrong that you'd have to install java 1.6 to get OO working. Even if you did not think that JDK 1.6 was buggy etc. it will have missed out on security patching and so forth.

I know this is now an old thread, but I'm putting this here as it is a change to the original solution in that it removes requirement for the legacy java. Having to install java 1.6 was a deal-breaker for me. I was thinking that if OO could not remove its dependency on the older java, then I could do without it.

lgusaas already posted one possibility (use JDK 1.9) on this other thread (see page 5): viewtopic.php?f=17&t=85216&sid=62d39200 ... &start=120.

I missed it, as that thread previously also comes to the conclusion that "you just need to install the legacy java", and ended up searching around for info in the LibreOffice world, and came across an explanation as to what it was that was in the JDK 1.6, but missing from later versions.. and how to fix it: https://unfinishedbitness.info/2015/03/ ... esolution/

Basically it is info missing in the Info.plist (an Apple thing) about the jdk (the Oracle thing). Making it correct probably 'fell between the cracks' when the JDK updating passed to Oracle. The fix for a 1.8 jdk involves editing the file in place with sudo. That's OK if you're comfortable with the terminal... and it works; but it does seem slightly dodgy to apply that fix.

I have now installed JDK 1.9, and it all works tickedy-boo. The file structure seems to have changed with the new version. The stuff is not where it used to be for 1.7 and 1.8, so I can't verify if the Info.plist file has been changed in a similar way, as I'm not sure I can find the equivalent.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on OS X 10.13.3