[Issue] Display: glitch effect in Calc

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
monsieurmeus

[Issue] Display: glitch effect in Calc

Post by monsieurmeus »

Hi,
it's been a while now that I have this problem and even after many updates (from Oo or OSX), I still have this problem in calc : when I zoom or scroll my document, lines are mixed, superimposed (sse attached file). I saw on post that activate and deactovated smoothing is sometimes helpfull but on differnet computer (all using Mavericks) I have same issue… any idea ?
thanks
Attachments
oo bug.PNG
oo bug.PNG (37.98 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to bug report
Appache OpenOffice 4.1.1
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: Display issue : glitch effect in Calc

Post by kingfisher »

IIRC, it has something to do with screen refreshing on Mac computers.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
gorthmog

Post by gorthmog »

This has been logged as the following bug:

https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=125096

I strongly suggest that you go "vote" for this bug to be fixed. I can't seem to get anyone interested in fixing this bug, even though it makes OpenOffice on the Mac almost unusable...

Thanks!
-Chris
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS 10.10
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

gorthmog wrote:This has been logged as the following bug:

https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=125096

I strongly suggest that you go "vote" for this bug to be fixed. I can't seem to get anyone interested in fixing this bug, even though it makes OpenOffice on the Mac almost unusable...

Thanks!
-Chris
The sample document on the bug report displays properly for me. I've never had this problem.
Your signature shows you are using OpenOffice 4.1.0 on MacOS 10.9.2
Try updating to OS X version 10.9.5
AOO is now at 4.1.1

Try resetting your user profile for AOO
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
gorthmog

Post by gorthmog »

Ah, thanks for pointing out that my signature was out of date. I'm actually running AOO 4.1.1 on OS X 10.10.

The problem still exists - however, I discovered part of the reason - I had turned off "Transparency" for selection in the AOO preferences. If you turn Transparency back on (say to 75%) then the problem seems to go away.

Would you mind looking in your AOO preferences and see what you have set for OpenOffice->View->Selection Transparency? Then, try disabling transparency and see if you can reproduce the bug. Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris
p.s. I don't really like the Transparent selection, but I can live with that much more than the garbled text. I've updated the bug with this information.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

gorthmog wrote: Would you mind looking in your AOO preferences and see what you have set for OpenOffice->View->Selection Transparency? Then, try disabling transparency and see if you can reproduce the bug. Thanks!
Transparency was set at 80%. I disabled it and also tested at various transparency percents and could not reproduce the bug.

I'm using late 2013 13" MacBook Pro Retina (using built-in trackpad).
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
gorthmog

Re: [Issue] Display: glitch effect in Calc

Post by gorthmog »

Hi Larry,
That's weird. Well, thanks for trying to reproduce it. Must be user error on my end. :-)
-Chris
MartinAT

Re: [Issue] Display: glitch effect in Calc

Post by MartinAT »

This problem is still there in 2018. I've suffered this for years using OO 4.1.3, 4.1.4, on MacBook Pro and now OO 4.1.6 on MacBook 12" OS 10.13.6.
This problem has continued while I had OpenOffice->View->Selection->Transparency Un-Ticked. Thanks to the information on this thread, I've experimented with Selection->Transparency at various percentages and the problem has not occurred with Selection->Transparency selected; but de-selecting Selection->Transparency makes the problem reappear. (Selection->Transparency 60% looks good to me.)
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0, MAC OS X 10.6.7