Can't get to the opening menu

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
billnapo

Can't get to the opening menu

Post by billnapo »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 3.0 beta
What Operating System (version) are you using? MAC OS
What is your question or comment? I am brand new to a MAC, but very proficient with PCs. I downloaded and installed Open Office 3.0 on my new MAC. The first time after rebooting that I click on the OpenOffice icon, it starts up the program, giving me the menu of choices of which OpenOffice application I want to run. Clicking on an choice runs the application. Thereafter, clicking on the OpenOffice icon gives me no menu, no choices, and I can't run any of the of the applications. After rebooting, I can again get the OpenOffice menu one time. I'm sure it is my inexperience with the MAC that is the problem, but I've spent hours trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, and getting nowhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
French not

Re: Can't get to the opening menu

Post by French not »

New to mac also, and also pc fluent. I'm having a similar problem. I have it installed on my leopard and it worked for a while before becoming unstable. Uninstalled, reinstalled and now it does nothing at all. When it did work it froze on the X window (Bash...) until I closed that, then came the errors. I cannot figure out what I've done wrong. Help would be deeply appreciated. I don't want to use microsoft.
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

First questions first :

1) When you downloaded the disk image (DMG file) to your disk, what exactly did you do ? Did you simply double click on the disk image and then on the icon representing OOo ? If so, then you have not installed the application to your hard disk.

2) Look for a directory on your hard disk called OpenOffice.org. It should be in /Users/"your user name"/Application Support/Library/
You need to delete this folder and all of its contents if it exists by dragging it to the Trash can and then emptying the Trash can.

3) Reinstall (or install) OpenOffice.org again from the disk image by double clicking on disk image, then dragging and dropping the OOo icon onto the Applications folder.

4) Now unmount the disk image by dragging and dropping it on the Trash can. The icon will change into an eject button.

5) Go to your Applications folder and find the OOo icon. Double-click on it. Tell us what happens (if anything).

Alex
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

billnapo wrote: I am brand new to a MAC, but very proficient with PCs. I downloaded and installed Open Office 3.0 on my new MAC. The first time after rebooting that I click on the OpenOffice icon, it starts up the program, giving me the menu of choices of which OpenOffice application I want to run. Clicking on an choice runs the application. Thereafter, clicking on the OpenOffice icon gives me no menu, no choices, and I can't run any of the of the applications. After rebooting, I can again get the OpenOffice menu one time. I'm sure it is my inexperience with the MAC that is the problem, but I've spent hours trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, and getting nowhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
After clicking on the OO.o icon, the menu bar on the top of your scree will show "OpenOffice.org File". Click 'File' and select the application you want to open.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura