Scroll bar defective

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua

Scroll bar defective

Postby rrensing » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 pm

In a 200+ pages document I can drag the scroll button down to go to a specific page, bur dragging it up to go back to page one again doesn't work: the scroll button remains where it is. I can only return to page one by putting the mouse pointer at the top of the white space of the scroll bar and hold down the left mouse key, and watch the button go up one page at the time - a very time consuming thing.
Also: the quick scroll function by pushing the mouse wheel down to show the two-pointed arrows has disappeared.
I have tried another mouse and uninstalled and re-installed OO but no change.
I'm using OO 3.4.1 on a Mac with OS 10.8
Any suggestions and help would be very much appreciated.
Open Office 3.4.1 on Mac 10.8
rrensing

Re: Scroll bar defective

Postby RoryOF » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 am

The scroll button works up and down on AOO 3.4.1. I can't check the mouse wheel now, as no mouse on this laptop. Will try tomorrow if I remember on another machine.

If you use Chapter headings or a Table of Contents, the Navigator (F5) will give you a quick way to navigate your document to approximate positions.

Edit: Out of curiosity, was it another mouse of the same brand? 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Hagar Delest » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 am

Does it occur for Writer only or also for Calc?
I've moved your topic to the Mac forum, it may be OS specific (never seen that on Ubuntu or Windows XP).

You can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile, it may help.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby Luuk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:36 am

Same problem here, on a Writer document of 24 pages. When I try to grasp the moving scroll bar button by clicking, it jumps away. Clicking between the scroll bar button and the desired direction does move the button though, resulting in scrolling.
It's really annoying! :O
LibreOffice 4.0 & OpenOffice 3.4.1 on OS X 10.8.4
Luuk

Postby goldenhelix » Fri May 10, 2013 11:57 pm

Same problem. Clicking the scroll bar just causes it to jump a bit downward. I can still mouse scroll and click the area between the scroll bar and the top to move it up, but in this huge document it would take me about an hour to actually scroll to the top. Very annoying. Looking for alternatives to OpenOffice at this point because this is unacceptable.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 and Mac OS X 10.7.5
goldenhelix

Postby RoryOF » Sat May 11, 2013 12:02 am

Use the Navigator (F5).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Luuk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:06 pm

I started using LibreOffice 4.0. It was fine for a day. After returning to my document, LibreOffice crashed when opening the document. The same with OpenOffice 3.4.1. I managed to open the document in read-only mode in OpenOffice, somehow it didn't crash. I selected all and pasted it in a new document in LibreOffice and saved the document. That document could be opened by both LibreOffice as OpenOffice, without crashes. However, now I've got the faulty/jumpy scroll bar again :(
The only other thing I tried in the mean time, was installing jre-7u25-macosx-x64, because I thought maybe that was a solution to the crashes. It didn't, so I uninstalled jre-7u25-macosx-x64 again (and rebooted).

So, the scroll bar problem is back; would this be related to some Java stuff?
All these problems really stress me out, instead of finishing my thesis I'm fighting with OSX for a whole evening :(
LibreOffice 4.0 & OpenOffice 3.4.1 on OS X 10.8.4
Luuk

Return to Mac OSX