[Solved] "Un-closable" "Restore Windows" Message

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
JenniferonMac

Re: [Solved] "Un-closable" "Restore Windows" Message

Post by JenniferonMac »

I have followed this thread & I was able to follow the directions to find the file in my library. In my case it was a folder with several files in it. I deleted it. However, I still get the "Unclosable 'Restore Windows' Message". I have used Open Office without any problems at all for several years. ''

Is there a chance that Open Office is somehow messed up from adding Windows or using the Mac Pages software? I always make sure that any Microsoft or Apple processing apps are closed before opening OO.
Open Office 4.0.1; OSX (Mac) 10.9.1
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

JenniferonMac wrote:I have followed this thread & I was able to follow the directions to find the file in my library. In my case it was a folder with several files in it. I deleted it. However, I still get the "Unclosable 'Restore Windows' Message". I have used Open Office without any problems at all for several years. ''

Is there a chance that Open Office is somehow messed up from adding Windows or using the Mac Pages software? I always make sure that any Microsoft or Apple processing apps are closed before opening OO.
Did you quit (force quit) Apache OpenOffice before deleting the folder? If not, do so.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
MikeAtlan

Post by MikeAtlan »

Hello Larry & Open Office Community -
Thanks for providing the detailed instructions for resolving the "Restore Windows" issue. However, in my case, after following the instructions, I do not see the file to delete within the org.openoffice.script.savedState folder. This is the whether Open Office is Opened (no pun intended) or Quit (via Force Quit). Should I either:
1 - Delete the entire org.openoffice.script.savedState Folder?
2 - Delete any other files listed in that folder?
These are the files that are listed in the org.openoffice.script.SavedState Folder:
- data.data
- windows_1.data
- windows.plist
- restorecount.txt
Thanks in advance for any help / recommendations you may have.
- Mike
OS X 10.7.5 OpenOffice 4.0.1 AOO401m5(Build:9714)
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

MikeAtlan wrote:Hello Larry & Open Office Community -
Thanks for providing the detailed instructions for resolving the "Restore Windows" issue. However, in my case, after following the instructions, I do not see the file to delete within the org.openoffice.script.savedState folder. This is the whether Open Office is Opened (no pun intended) or Quit (via Force Quit). Should I either:
1 - Delete the entire org.openoffice.script.savedState Folder?
2 - Delete any other files listed in that folder?
These are the files that are listed in the org.openoffice.script.SavedState Folder:
- data.data
- windows_1.data
- windows.plist
- restorecount.txt
Thanks in advance for any help / recommendations you may have.
- Mike
Delete the whole folder. It will be recreated the next time you open AOO.

However, I think deleting restore count.txt would work but I haven't done this myself. You could try that and report back to us.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
georgect

Post by georgect »

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!!!
I have searched everywhere and found preferences etc. This is SO annoying. They really should do something to avoid this very very annoying situation ! I have been using open office for years, only recently on a mac, and for the first time I seriously considered changing.

Your help is much appreciated.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on OX 10.9.1
Oriel

Post by Oriel »

Thank you - solved. :bravo:
The Library I needed to access was my own User Library, not the main Library. Library was hidden so I had to use "Revealer" application to find the Library. Its done now and it looks like its working ok.
Open Office 4.0.1

Mac OS 10.9.2
hughmcguire4

Post by hughmcguire4 »

SOLVED !!!
Open Office 3.3.0 on MacOS 10.6.8
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Although this is listed as solved I was still having the same problem. Opening the Finder window and Go button did not reveal any Library tab. If I use the Goto Folder and enter Library then it appeared under my user-name. Right clicking and Show View Options indicated that it was not visible in finder. Ticking this box made it appear and I was then able to delete everything in the org.openoffice.script. in the Saved Application State Folder and AOO is performing properly again. It seems crazy that you can’t access the hidden folder without knowing where it is to unhide it. Also surely deleting the application and re-installing should have removed the file. They only workaround that previously worked was logging in as a guest on the MAC and then opening Apache Open Office and accessing my files that way.

Tony
Open Office 4, iMac OS x 10.92
Technico

Post by Technico »

Despite all the time people have put in explaining how to fix this issue I simply cannot find the "Saved Application State" in any of the library's.
I installed revealer hoping this app would reveal the folder but still no dice.

Am I missing something?
Any other suggestions?
Openoffice version 4 running OSX Mavericks
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Technico wrote:Despite all the time people have put in explaining how to fix this issue I simply cannot find the "Saved Application State" in any of the library's.
Am I missing something?
Any other suggestions?
Go back and follow the instructions in this post earlier in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55755#p244931
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Technico

Post by Technico »

OK, tnx, not sure why but now I was able to locate a user library that was not showing before. (Made it visible using Revealer)
Deleted the file and now the problem is (finally) solved.

Tnks for the help, and sorry for posting again while the answer was already there. :oops:
Openoffice version 4 running OSX Mavericks
kaustein

Post by kaustein »

Yeah, I owe you a beer assuming you are old enough to drink! Your pictograph is what did it for me! Thanks!
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
fha

Post by fha »

Hi !

I have the same problem, I've located the saved application state folder but there isn't anything openoffice related in it. I already tried to fix the problem yesterday, without knowing too much where i was going. I'm wondering if i already deleted the file, however i can't force quit the program. It's not offered as an option on the dock and won't work either with the shortcut.

Does anyone have a clue of what the problem might be ?
Appache OpenOffice 4.1.0 on MacOS X Maverick
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

See lgusaas's reply of 06 Mar 2014 earlier in this thread .
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

fha wrote: i can't force quit the program. It's not offered as an option on the dock and won't work either with the shortcut.
What shortcut are you talking about?
Click on  on the menu bar, then click on "Force Quit". Select "OpenOffice" in the window that opens then click on "Force Quit".
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
toddwig

Post by toddwig »

Thanks for the hep you solved the problem!!
OpenOffice 4.0.1 AOO401m5(Build:9714)
Jerzbabi609

Post by Jerzbabi609 »

Hi there I am having the same issue but with my Notes app. I have followed the instructions to delete the folder in the saved applications folder but the issue is still occurring. I am not able to force quit the notes as it does not give me an option. Any suggestions what else i could try? Thanks
Macbook Pro OS X mavericks
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Jerzbabi609 wrote:Hi there I am having the same issue but with my Notes app. I have followed the instructions to delete the folder in the saved applications folder but the issue is still occurring. I am not able to force quit the notes as it does not give me an option. Any suggestions what else i could try? Thanks
Any basic book on Macs would tell you how to force quit any application. Searching in you Mac's help files would have found this:
"If the app is frozen, force quit the app. Press Option-Command (⌘)-Esc, select the app, then click Force Quit."
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Jerzbabi609

Post by Jerzbabi609 »

Yes I have tried that but Notes are not one of the apps that show up under that menu.
Macbook Pro OS X mavericks
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Jerzbabi609 wrote:Yes I have tried that but Notes are not one of the apps that show up under that menu.
Must not be notes.app. It shows up in the force quit menu.
Open Activity Monitor.app. It shows all running apps and processes. You can quit or force quit any of them.

PS: restarting your computer will shut down any running apps.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
DigiSkillsCymru

Post by DigiSkillsCymru »

Thanks for posting the screenshots - this solved the problem for me (OS X 10.9.4, OO 4.0.1) :D
Open Office v. 4.0.1 - OS X 10.9.4
drhalter

Post by drhalter »

Also Solved for me after months and months of ignoring the problem! Thanks much!

Dave
drhalter
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on MacOS
danitracy

Post by danitracy »

I am getting so frustrated. I have read all these helpful tips on how to fix the "Restore Windows" problem on my Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. However, when I go to Finder and then "Go", I do not have the option of selecting "Library. I attached the screenshot to show you I am not crazy. Please help.
Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 8.05.42 AM.png
Last edited by danitracy on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniella Hofreiter
Open Office 4.0.1 on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Are you holding down the Option key while clicking on Go as explained here?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
danitracy

Post by danitracy »

No! I wasn't. You don't know how many times I read and re-read the directions and it just didn't click. Thank you.
Daniella Hofreiter
Open Office 4.0.1 on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
dcbrand

Post by dcbrand »

I was notified of 4.1.1 upgrade but had trouble installing it on Yosemite (am still using version 3). Then a small window appeared stating:"The last time you opened OpenOffice.org, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" neither option (don't reopen or reopen) respond to the mouse click and I can't get rid of it. Tried to install 4.1 again and got a window saying an unrecognized icon appeared. Now I have to open Open Office from Finder/applications only - OO icon in tray unresponsive. Once open and a text file begun, returning to "File" to begin a new text file is unresponsive. Tried going to Finder/library to delete the file referred to elsewhere - no Library folder exists. HELP!!!
OpenOffice 3.4.1 / OS X version 10.7.5
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

dcbrand wrote: Tried going to Finder/library to delete the file referred to elsewhere - no Library folder exists. HELP!!!
Then you didn't follow the instructions given in this thread.

Two posts before yours,FJCC said "Are you holding down the Option key while clicking on Go as explained here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55755#p244931?
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
dcbrand

Post by dcbrand »

NOT SOLVED! Perhaps I entered the wrong topic. HELP!!! I am following instructions. Holding option key while clicking on go does not reveal a "Library" folder in Yosemite so far as I can tell.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 / OS X version 10.7.5
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

dcbrand wrote:NOT SOLVED! Perhaps I entered the wrong topic. HELP!!! I am following instructions. Holding option key while clicking on go does not reveal a "Library" folder in Yosemite so far as I can tell.
Open Finder
Click on Go on the MenuBar. A drop-down menu appears.
Hold down the Option key.
"Library" will appear below "Home" on the drop-down menu.
While still holding the Option key down click on Library.

PS: To always see your user/library in finder see this article. http://www.macworld.com/article/2057221 ... ricks.html
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
hasi29

Post by hasi29 »

Just open activity monitor and force quit open office.. It will disappear the dialogue box and then simply uninstall open office :D
Open Office 4.0.1 on Mac