Printing

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
dodgeball

Printing

Post by dodgeball »

I m a student using open office on my Mac running OX 10.4.11 and i m printing on a HP D4160 printer. When ever i print something it uses the color cartridge even for black text. I have tried to change the printer settings to grayscale and have even uninstalled and reinstalled the printer multiply times. I tried to take out the color cartridge and it said error no color cartridge. The printer prints wonderfully in black from Safari it seams like its open office. I did try email HP people but they just told me to do the same thing that i did already. Some help would be fantastic.
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Printing

Post by Phil »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry it seems nobody has had an idea about your questions so far.

For myself, I am not working on a Mac, so I may not be able to help efficiently.
In any case, this problem really seems to be weird! :?

The only thing that came to my mind is that you could try to create a PDF file from within OpenOffice, and to print the PDF file then in order to see if the problem persists.
From which OpenOffice application have you tried to print?

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

My guess is that it's the X11 interface that causes the problem, perhaps using "generic" printer instructions for color selection, and the printer driver accepting it as such. Have you tried the OOo version 3 beta. That runs natively in the Mac OS-X OS, without the need for X11. (I've heard at one time that printing was not ready yet, but things should have moved on since then...)
Exporting to PDF should work too, but it may feel a bit clumsy.
Last edited by keme on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

keme wrote:Exporting to PDF should work too, but it may feel a bit clumsy.
Sure - this was rather intended as a mean of diagnosing the cause of the problem. 8-)

In any case, your hint on OOo 3 sounds very promising, I'm eager to hear if it works there!

Regards, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

Hi,

The HP printer in question is an inkjet I presume ? There are known issues with printing from X11 versions of OOo, and in view of the upcoming version 3.0 which will be a native Mac app, the Mac port developers are focussing their efforts on getting that to work as flawlessly as possible rather than fixing the bugs with the X11 versions. Someone has already said that you might want to try the beta version of OOo Aqua which is already available for testing, otherwise you could also try NeoOffice, which seems to handle printing pretty well via the native Mac printing panel.

Alex